Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Desi-

I think you'll find the limitation to be getting the power to the ground. The framehorn set-up on a pan is not very conducive to drag-race starts, unless you install a traction bar, a mid-mount, some trans-straps, or a kafer bar- or all of them. I've got a tube frame, and I'll be posting pictures soon of what I did to tie my engine into the frame (here's a hint- it's not anything I've seen before).

As far as the engine.... how much money do you have?
My bug will 0-60 mph in 1.91 seconds. BUT!!!!! That is on a drag strip with cheater slicks. As stated before there is quite a bit of suspension work and getting it to the ground. The speedster is light compared to super cars that plant the weight with super high HP. You will most likely spin with a big ammount of HP. If you don't have the drive train to hold it, you better hope it spins.
I am still having a hard time understanding the electric cars {Tesla}. I was in a Prius this week, just not impressed. Gutless and smelled metallic inside. Reminded me of the smell my electric cars would give off after getting them good and hot running around the snap together black plastic race track. Come to think of it, the trigger shifter would give off the same sell. Electric speedsters wont ever make sense to me.
Funny thing, when we parked the car and began to walk away the owner could not get it to lock. After 5 minutes she proclaimed "oh, its still on", reached inside and hit the power button. The damn thing sounded the same on or off. Ill stick with recycling and plastic on my apartment windows thank you.
*rant*...
I looked at electric power. On the positive the motor is light, but the batteries weigh a lot, if you want to have a range of above 50 miles per charge. I had thought about cutting the top of of the centre tunnel on a VW pan, mounting some batteries in there, to keep the weight in the centre, mounting some more batteries in the front, to get a 50:50 weight distribution. But still the problem is distance between charges. So now I am planning the build using a Hayabusa 1300cc motorbike engine. The stock engine makes about 175hp and weighs around 160lbs if I recall, making for better handling. I expect the car to weigh 1400lbs in total. The differential required is usally one forward speed, one reverse speed (as the bike has a 6-speed tranny attached already) and is a bit lighter than stock VW tranny. I am using billet alloy disc brakes all round to reduce weight, and will be removing metal were possible without compromising on the structural strength of the car. I expect it to weigh 1400lbs total. Cars of a similar weight with this engine have achieved 0-60 in the low 4 seconds. If you add a turbo to it, it takes off a further 0.5 seconds approx. Rotary and Subarus engines are quite common too, although Subarus weigh more and rotaries arent great on fuel. For me its all about 0-60 as I dont fancy driving 100mph+ in a car with no safety features or having my license taken away.
Desi - you've already seen a 4 second car... And a girl was driving it - LOL!

With plenty of witnesses and a radar gun with a computer to provide proof - 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. If I didn't have a 700 mile drive home ahead of me after the run (to give me fearless shifting - I shifted like a wuss) and a good set of tires, this is probably a 4.1 or 4.2 pretty easily. As was, it pulled so hard that I crossed out of the timing zone with the ass hung out a foot to the right at over 90 mph even with 225 rear rubber... Good DOT quasi-legal sticky tires would have been nice to have.

http://www.kitcarmag.com/featuredvehicles/0803kc_replica_porsche_550a6_spyder/index.html

I'm 100% confident that there are a couple of six cylinder IM's that are four second cars, and a turbo suby or two in the same area. Then there's the ferociously built T4 and T1 motors... Stop light grand prix, those cars are little badasses!!!

angela
Desi, I've seen the turbo 2332 do something like that on the drag strip. You'd probably not be wanting to do that, though. They usually (from the few I've watched) take the belt off the fan or remove all the cooling bits to make 'em run that fast.
On street tires and with as little weight as we have, you might want to consider the ... dare I say it ... modified Type IV.

(There are little horns poking through my forehead as I type this.)
With my scooby motor making 185kw on the wheels from a rolling start I have taken out a BMW M5 which is supposed to do 0 - 100km/h (62mph) in 4.6 seconds.

I don't ever give it horns from a standing start, I do accept that my gearbox and drive lines are not designed for such huge power, I just drive with a little respect for the drive line.

Should I start spinning a wheel I back off and then re-apply the power.

Whether a beetle drive line without serious mods could survive a sub 4 second 0 - 60 I have my doubts.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.