Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As in most things in life, it depends;

The 993 has a 5X130mm bolt pattern, the same as most Porsches, so you would need your hubs drilled for that pattern OR go with 4-bolt hubs and a 5-bolt billet adapter like those that Pelican Parts sells (at $130 per wheel).  

The 993 has two different wheel widths, typically 7-8" front and 9-10" rear, but the offset is what'll get you.  Front offset is 55mm while rear is 52mm.  I run a set of 16" 911 rims at 7" and 8" on a wide body CMC with 1-1/4" spacers with no clearance problems (up to 225 tires).  I have heard of someone running 9" wide 17's but I think it was on a super-wide VS body.  They definitely look sharp.

You will have to measure the distance from the suspension hub flange to the inner surface of the body (wheel well) and then from the hub flange to the outer surface of the suspension trailing arms to give you your working width, and then measure from the inside mounting flange on the wheel to the inside surface of the tire and then the same for the outer tire surface to get your wheel width and offset.  THAT info will tell you if you need any hub/wheel spacers and how thick they must be to get your wheel positioned in the wheel well as you want it.

So the short answer is, probably, depending on the wide body you get.  Will they fit under a straight side (so-called "classic style") car?  Probably not.

I have my widebody car now and I agree that the chrome wheels with the gold centers that are on my car now "makes me want to drive and ice pick thru my eyeballs".  While I have a set of 993 wheels by the time I do the adapting etc we are talking serious change.  I did a lot of searching here, Tire rack, EMPI and google and could not find anyone that sells an 8" or 10" wide wide five wheel.  I assume that I will have to do adapters and put some generic alloy wheel  or....?

Thanks

If you weant the old school steel wide five look, just wider (8" or 10") then you can have them made by WeldCraft or Stockton.  They use the cenetrs out of a 5.5 wheel and weld it into a custom ring.  Should run about $200 per wheel for the modification (plus cost of wheel).  That said, now you'd have to find a 15" tire that wide, which may be difficult these days...

Ron- 215/60-15's (25" tall, 6-7.5" rim) are still made as well. Out of 25 choices on Tirerack.com, the Pirelli P6000 is the lone high perf summer tire (at $233 per), the rest are all season's. 245/50's don't show up any more, and 225/50's (rather short at 23.9") only have 2 street options- Pirelli P Zero and Kumho Ecsta AST. The website shows 38 "all season" choices for 205/60-15's( almost 24 3/4" tall); but not a strictly summer tire in the bunch.

Last edited by ALB

To go 10" wide you are going to need a WIDE tire.  A few years ago I did this on a custom Spyder racecar that we built for a client and ended up finding replacement tires for a Lambo Countach  They were something like 345/35/15 and had available matching 205 or 225/50/15 for the fronts.  Tire Rack actually carried them at the time, but again, that type of 15" tire is more and more difficult to find.

so I am to assume all of these cars I am seeing here with really cool deep dish alloy wheels have had the hubs modified and then some sort of Porsche aftermarket wheel added?

Tire Rack only shows one wheel for that app.  I prefer to stay away from 17s cause the tires are fairly expensive.   I go thru a set every second summer on my modified 993 with a close ratio gearpack 993, but maybe that is not a concern since I will not have anywhere near the HP however I do plan to take it deep into the corners so......

Does anyone have  a link to 16inch wheels that can be purchase once the hub mods are made.  Frankly while the 993 wheels look good on my Carrera I want a deeper dish on my SPeedster.  THanks for the help

The site I have shown below carries Hankook Ventus R-S3 in:

205/55/16

225/50/16

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires...ntus+R-S3+%28Z222%29

It's Canadian, but you get the idea.

If I could fit either of these sizes on my IM I would switches tires in an instance.

They're an awesome handling tire, but wear quickly.  I tracked my Miata with 225  R-S3s for a couples of years until I moved up to a strictly track tire.

Originally Posted by Bob 2004 IM Speedster:

Here's the look Ron is after.

rono

Bob, I'd love to put 20 inchers on my IM.  I'd look so cool cruisin' the Hood.

Marty, I agree-16 inch wheels would be heavier.  Along with low profile tires I'm sure the ride would suffer.  Even with 65 series tires my car's ride is very stiff.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.