Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Tracy,

When I do a full tune up on a customers engine, It usually takes me approx. 2 to 3 hours.

That includes, changing the oil, (filter if you have one) Adjusting the valves, changing spark plugs, rotor, cap and points if you have them. In addition that includes adjusting the carb's/linkage and setting the timing.

Multiply 3 by the hourly shop rate plus parts for a total.

Parts including rotor, cap,points, valve cover gaskets, oil and filter usually cost under $50.00
I am glad you mentioned that TC. Is the valve gap the same on a TIV as a TI?

What is the recommended gap setting for the spark plugs and the valves on a TIV? I am going to do this on wednesday evening. I know this wide open and I should read a book, but I am liking the current experience and not the book experience... though it gets me to thinking. DANGER DANGER DANGER
The "stone cold" method is technically correct for stock aluminum push rods. And, it's a real pain in the rump.

VW dealerships, due to time constraints usually adjusted them while the customer waited or came back the same day to pick up their car.

I've had great success adjusting valve clearance after the engine cooled down, provided the engine is equipped with chromoly push rods.

I've done thousands of valve adjustments after about 2 to 3 hours of cooling time then re-checked the following morning and the clearance is exactly the same.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.