Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

I wanted to put some feelers out about sellng the 1915 type 1 engine that's now in my VS. This one has a forged (not cast) crankshaft and dual Solex carbs. This is a "proven reliable" engine having 8,500 miles on it mostly from two Carlisle events plus one Tail of the Dragon gathering. It has been babied and has complete documentation of every service and improvement like Petronix, etc, etc. It gets down the road at 75-80 and gets 28-29 mpg--I have seen 31 mpg lightly loaded. Temps are 190-195 max with the thin line filter sump.

I am going to order another engine before long --maybe in the late summer or fall so I want to see about selling this one. I would crate and ship it free and am asking what would be a reasonable price to ask? This is a good opportunity for someone who is planning a Speedster build and would like an almost new engine to use in it.

Why am I getting a new engine? Just for the pure fun of it---this IS a hobby---right?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks---Jack

2007 Vintage Speedster/ Jake Raby TYPE IV engine

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I wanted to put some feelers out about sellng the 1915 type 1 engine that's now in my VS. This one has a forged (not cast) crankshaft and dual Solex carbs. This is a "proven reliable" engine having 8,500 miles on it mostly from two Carlisle events plus one Tail of the Dragon gathering. It has been babied and has complete documentation of every service and improvement like Petronix, etc, etc. It gets down the road at 75-80 and gets 28-29 mpg--I have seen 31 mpg lightly loaded. Temps are 190-195 max with the thin line filter sump.

I am going to order another engine before long --maybe in the late summer or fall so I want to see about selling this one. I would crate and ship it free and am asking what would be a reasonable price to ask? This is a good opportunity for someone who is planning a Speedster build and would like an almost new engine to use in it.

Why am I getting a new engine? Just for the pure fun of it---this IS a hobby---right?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks---Jack
Jack, I understand the itch. I get it myself once in a while for a 2.5L Suby, but I have, so far, decided to stick with the current engine. The little 2.2L goes down the road just fine and delivered a 36.9 mpg average on the last Carlisle trip. Think carefully about making this jump; you seem to have a winner already.
Hoss
Bob--that's a great idea about demoing the engine. I'd do that if anyone was in anyway close but Dogpatch, where I live is pretty remote.

Also--I will be getting a new transmission too so the tranny in the car goes with the engine. The builder will crate and ship it to a buyer as well as install the new power plant.

Thanks---Jack
Dan--it replaces points in a distributor---solid state and from what i can tell--very reliable. I carry an extra unit in the car with directions---just in case. About $70.00 I think.

Now---back to my engine and tranny!! i need to have a home for it when I have the new engine installed 4 or so months from now.

Hey Bob---you sold just your engine without the trans axle for $1600? How many miles were on the engine?

---Jack
Jack,
I would be happy with your set-up for a long time. Your car is proven to be dependable and runs great! That aside, this is still America and you can do what you want. If you need more ZAP you should do it. We're here for a good time not for a long time. You should have no trouble selling that engine and trans. combo. If I had the "mad money" I would do it in a heart beat. Good luck. Al
Thanks, Al. And Ernie, I wouldn't call this engine a "Mexicrate" because it has a forged crank---not a cast ones like some inferior engines and was assembled by Kirks regular engine guy who is also one of the top builders of custom engines in Socal. He has posted here before and really knows his stuff.---Jack

Hey guys--I have sold my engine and tranny to Jerry McAlister in Texas and appreciate the interest in this project.

I am having Jake Raby build a type 4 with a special tranny with taller gearing in 3rd and 4th gearsfor my Speedster. Jake will be crating and shopping my engine to Jerry so you know it will be done right! And so will ehe engine I am certain.

Target date for completing this project is October and a more definite date will be known in a few days.

Thanks again---Jack

FYI--I have had a few inquiries about the engine and Xmission and a couple who wanted it, but didn't say so until too late so if there is anyone else thinking of selling an engine with or without a tranny please tell me so I cnan pass their names and contact info to you.

I have a Stelling banjo on ebay and the auction ends this afternoon. I sure hope I get as much interest for the banjo as I did for the engine!

Please do let me know if you want to sell your engine! Thanks--Jack
Dan--Jake has a huge backlog and folks are happy to wait their turn. It's looking like early October but I don't know a firm date yet.

I'll use my car until I drive and leave it a week at Jake's. It was important to sell my engine/tranny to someone willing to wait until October.

---Jack

ps--Danny--what did you do? Nothing but doing the weighing of all the Speedsters and doing those great mugs for---I'd say you done great and I appreciated that a lot!!

Bill---I was glad to see you made the drive to Carlisle---I believe more folks should drive these cars! I am sure that someone will contact you about your 1600 engine. There is something special about an unmolested 1600 that is doing what it was designed to do,making it so reliable.

I will email two folks about this that I believe might be interested too.

---Jack
1600cc :
Get your head ports cleaned up and go with the stock valves.
You'll probably also want to use single coil performance springs as insurance. I would also suggest increasing the compression ratio slightly, say to 8.0 to 1. (still run regular gas)
Have crank/flywheel/pressure plate balanced as a unit, and balance rods and piston assemblies. Engel 110 cam. Use new lifters and make sure they're properly radiused and hardened.
Lightening the flywheel would also be nice, but on smaller engines
this may not be worth the effort and expense..
Add a decent merged exhaust system, Petronix (or Compufire)
magnetic trigger to the distributor, use a Bosch "blue" coil, match the carbs to the intakes and the intake to the manifolds to the heads. Jet the carbs properly, and you should be good to go.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.