Skip to main content

I bumped into an elderly (more elderly than I) at a car show on Saturday who told me he had a '56 Porsche engine, probably of dubious condition. Claimed he had it running at one time or another in a Ghia back in the day. He lives not to far from me. I'm tempted to give him a call and take a look at it. Any of you guys venture to offer an opinion on what it MIGHT be worth depending on condition? Knowing parts for it would probably be pretty steep, do you think it would be worthwhile?

Crash Test Dummy Guy

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Rich Drewek:

Correcto, Al...I'm more curious to it's value to the discerning aficionado snob. As Vinny noted last week, I'm always trying to make a buck off of my friends 

Oh yeah; I forgot about that! You're a funny guy, Rich!
PS- I don't have a clue what a 356 motor that may "need some work" is worth; when you figure out the market value, let me know...

I'd look to see if all the 356 engine is there and that it turns over still.  Cleaned up with air cleaners removed and a piece of tempered glass for the top and it would be a great coffee table for the man-cave!  Also check the engine serial number to aid in id-ing the year and hp. I'm guess int S version would be more valuable.  Heck, just the oil filter assemblies fetch $200+ on ebay.  

2XXXX: 1300 Normal
3XXXX: 1500 Normal
4XXXX: 1500 S
5XXXX: 1300 S
6XXXX: 1600 Normal
7XXXX: 1600 Normal - before the Normal 1600 got 6 digits (late 1959)
8XXXX: 1600 S

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.