Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Marshall, have you read this article that is contained right on this page?

http://speedsterowners.com/reviews/newbies.asp

It's a good summary and worthy reading for somebody at what I presume to be at your stage of researching this hobby. And it is a hobby. If it is possible, you should seriously consider visiting the Carlisle show which is not that far off and you will have a chance to see and perhaps drive some examples of what you are looking for. You will have a chance to meet many owners and pick their brains as well as some of the actual makers.

Also, consider buying used first to find out if this is a good fit for you; you won't be out much money if you find out that this is really not for you at all. It's a better choice than shelling out big bucks for the "perfect" car only to find out you really don't like it.

I'm just sayin'
Hoss
Marshall,

Well here is my $.02. I'm having Henry at Intermeccanica build my dream a 59 GT Speedster. This is after I spent 5 1/2 years restoring my 60 356 Sunroof Coupe. It was a fun car but not as fun as my new car will be. I'm going all the way with a IM-6 running 235Hp 3.0L power. The E-brake can be correct and Henry is doing it for me. We are also building a special floor mounted heater knob with the 915 five speed shifter so the look will be correct.

As far as the price goes Henry's car will likely be the most expensive but IMHO you get what you pay for. If you want pictures of an example of a dead on replica have Henry send you detailed pictures of Brooks Waltons car. Intermeccanica and Henry's dad built the first replica speedster. While the rest off the companies will build a quality product if money is not an issue then I would recomend Intermeccanica.

BTW last year I was in Belfast and it was about 13 degrees outside. My wife and I stopped into a pub and I had some of the best clam chowder ever. The in-laws live in Thomaston..........;-)
The specs you are looking for sound like they would be right up Intermeccanica's ally, but I'm a bit biased of course. I had Henry build my dream car and took delivery in September of 2008. It is IM's 1959 Convertible D Roadster with an Audi / VW 1.8t water cooled engine and a 5 speed type 915 transmission. I couldn't be happier with the results. My point is that IM is well qualified to do custom variants and I'm sure a visit to Vancouver to speak with Henry would be well worth your time.

Tomm

Attachments

Images (2)
  • DSC00273
  • 1.8t_915
OK, I have to chime in. I don't have my Beck yet (later this month), but the customer service that I have received from Carey Hines
is the best that I've received on any product at any time either personally or professionally. I'm pretty picky too. If you read my post "Last minute advice on my Beck Turnkey" you will get a feel for the changes I put Carey through and the collective wisdom that was so generously offered by the members on this board (plus you will probably pick up a few build tips). I have no basis of comparison with the other makers, but I'm mighty happy with Special Edition.
Guys,

Oban is OK but I prefer 25 year Mac.....if money is not the object!

That said ever hear of Catto's? It is a Blended Scotch. It was 12 years old in 1945 when the bottle I have's tax stamp was placed on it........only about two fingers left in the fifth.

Very smooth stuff.......
Marshall, maybe it's me, but I don't get it. I'm kind of feeling like Tom Hanks during the meeting in the movie "Big".

You want all this originality, but no badges and you're going for custom paint? It's just a car, and a replica at that. Make it how you want, but damn, don't sweat all the minutiae. No replica is going to match an original 100%. You can get close, but don't obsess about it.

Get one, any one, and drive the wheels off it. That's what this site is about. The detail people are over at 356registry, looking "down" at all of us faux drivers. BUT we have so much fun, and we're not trying to fool anybody.

Welcome, and I truly hope you can attain what you're looking for.
Jack-you're silly. Daniel- the guy is throwing his hat into the ring; he knows what HE wants, not what you want for him. The best course is to submit the wish list to all the "makers", compare prices, availability and make decisions then and there.
Marshall if there is something SPECIFIC you need help with then just ask; ie paint...you can click my name here, which accesses my "profile", and finally click photos. I happened to have previously posted some here and also have a lot of saved (bookmarked favorites) in my personal image files. Good luck and ask a lot of questions-there's a lot of help here in cyber-SOCer-land.
(can't believe that rolled off my tongue....oh God, you're about to meet "Vince"...)
Scott, I understand what Marshall wants, but who is he trying to kid? Himself maybe?

Like I said, I hope he can get what he wants. Hoss said it first, get one and drive it. Then if he really likes it, get out the unlimited checkbook and have one built. Vince, please help me...........

Hey, I am just trying to save the guy time and money, I am such a bad person.
You're not a bad person at all. I see a lot of people with wish lists that appear "un-focused" (sp?)....that said I'd encourage someone to ask more questions, perhaps get back to the drawing board, etc. In the final analysis, if he still wants to stick with his original concept, then so be it (in my opinion)...I say we help him through the process, a win-win.
Come to Carlisle, really worth the trip, not a bad one from Maine either. It's only three months away.

You can check out 40 Speedsters, a couple of them coupes and roadster-Ds, plus a handful of Spyders(one of the latter mine). All the manufacturers' cars are there, owned by real people. Talk to the people that own them, make life-long friends, enjoy some grub and grog. Ride in them, look in, under, and over, and even go for some drives. It doesn't get much better than that.

Plus, you can meet the Hines at Special Edition and Henry from IM.
Scott---yep--that's it. Click on imports and kit cars. This is a great event with nice dinners, gatherings and time at the show field.
And don't forget the egg sammiches!

Many Speedsters on display there plus some builders showing their cars. Lane Anderson's car was actually built at Carlisle during the show about 4 years ago. Last year I learned the "fix" for water on the floors of a Vintage and many ideas are shared. Plus the chance to meet in person with some of the "madness" contingent. Personally for me, that's the best part.

Anyone considering a Speedster replica should start their search at Carlisle to see what appeals to them.

Carlisle is a highlight of my year and I wouldn't miss it.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Here are a few clarifications. I do not want an original car again. I rebuilt my Super motor twice. First it spun a bearing, then it snapped a valve stem, and over all the car was too slow. Besides I get shivers thinking about rusty pans hidden under globs of undercoating. What intrigues me about a replica is that everything is new and that I can custom design it. I have no interest in my car being historically accurate, but having spend my first twenty-two years in 356s, I know what I like aesthetically. But it's driving the car that appeals to me. I drove my 356 across the country a number of times during the 70s. I want to feel that joy again. A few more questions if I may.

How noisy is a Speedster over the course of a long trip? How about in hard rain? Since I've only been in coupes I have no reference.

How much attention do 356s attract these days? During my father's era the car was laughed at and generally disliked. When my dad sold his mint 1962 B coupe, he basically gave it away. He traded his 1952 coupe for a VW bug because the timing gear stripped off the camshaft and he learned that the cam was a handmade one of a kind. The car had been specially built for him by Porsche to race. Anyway, these days I have no idea what kind of attention the car would get. Vandalism? Theft? I can't recall ever seeing a 356 in Maine over the last twenty years.

Is 100bhp enough for straight forward driving? I have no need to go fast anymore, but I want the car to have enough power to pass comfortably, etc. Recommendations please. My thought at the moment is a 100bhp CB engine.

Front disks a must? Rear drums? Front end thoughts?

Transmission? Is a four speed ample for the engine?

Thanks so much for any pointers. It's been a long time since I've been in a 356.

I have a friend going to Carlisle for me if I can't attend. He knows more about cars than anyone I've ever met.
How noisy is a Speedster over the course of a long trip?

All of the mufflers available are quite loud - 2X+ the originals. I just wear ear plugs (I have a Berg system) plus there's a lot of wind noise, top up or down.

How about in hard rain? They tend to leak unless you have an IM or (even better) an SAS. But then, original Speedsters were related to sieves, too.

Since I've only been in coupes I have no reference. Original coupes leaked a bit, too!

How much attention do 356s attract these days? LOTS! because they are so scarce these days.

Vandalism? Theft? Haven't heard much in the past 10 years - they stand out a lot and would be hard to resell

I can't recall ever seeing a 356 in Maine over the last twenty years. There are a few. Fill your zip code in on the profile on this site and then check the registry - it will list everyone by distance from your zip. John(?) Wiley is in Bangor. There are also some originals as members of www.TYP356ne.org

Is 100bhp enough for straight forward driving? I have no need to go fast anymore, but I want the car to have enough power to pass comfortably, etc. Recommendations please.
Get a 2,110 with dual Webers or Dellortos - Easily keep with most anything.

My thought at the moment is a 100bhp CB engine.

Front disks a must? YES Rear drums? YES

Front end thoughts? Stock with top and bottom height adjusters (avis style). Stock VW soft shocks (a replica is quite light) and a 3/8"-1/2" anti-roll bar.

Transmission? Is a four speed ample for the engine? Yes - Stock gearing gives a 1'st that's a tad low and a .89 overdrive 4'th. A 3:88 so-called, "freeway flyer" is OK for a 2,110 or larger, just make sure you have the engine set up for free-flow external oil cooling and run a fan-assisted oil cooler with thermostat switch.

Gordon
The Speedstah Guy from Beaufort

Attachments

Images (1)
  • dsc_0140[1]
Marshall, I bought a terrible example of a Speedster replica, drove it into the ground ... and rebuilt it into exactly what I wanted. Except for a couple minor pieces, like maybe a headlight and the pedal cluster, it's a completely different car.
I did it like Sinatra, my way, and getting there was a bit more painful than it would have been to have bought a specified car from a vendor.
Nonetheless, the off-the-wall bits are hidden under a (mostly) normal CMC Speedster body. It's just one example that you can do these things however you want.
I'm glad you or your car-guy friend will be at Carlisle to help you form a proper opinion before diving in with a complex list of options for a builder to complete. You might discover that the fit and finish of a high-end car with lots of goodies is outweighed by the simplest car there. Mine's not much to look at, but there will be cars there that are breathtakingly beautiful.
Look up "The Hoopty" when you get there. If you want to go for a short spin, I'll provide a helmet.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Hoopty in June 2001
  • Classic Hoopty
You shoud do a search here and the internet for the Envemo super 90. This was an early '80 Brazilian company that produced bot cabriolets and coupes that were dead on ringers to the 356C but fiberglass. They used many OEM trim parts. Cary Hines at Beck actually bought one a couple years ago. They are rare but often one needing refurbishing goes for $20K.

http://www.bobsclassics.com/sold/60p.htm
It's not that big of a deal. After a few years, most people in town don't look twice. They know you, if you drive with any regularity.

Kids absolutely love my Spyder, even if they've seen it before. Lots of thumbs up. An occasional challenge by a ricer or even a V8 classic or modern. Sometimes I spank 'em, sometimes ignore them, depends on the mood.

Talking to people when you go out to dinner or the gas station is a must. All sorts of questions. I am always polite, unless some clown is a butthole. Then I just say, "Is that your minvan over there?" Most people are really cool and genuinely interested.

I wouldn't worry too much about problems in Maine. People are pretty laid back up there, aren't they?
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.