Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

Hi Everyone,

I have a what I believe is a 1956 Speedster steering wheel just listed on eBay for a 7 day auction.  I'm no expert (sllght understatement...) but have had the wheel for 35+ years, nearly all of that time spent sitting in the closet.   A solid, sturdy wheel,  but shows minor scuffs, dings,  scratches other imperfections (but not bad for nearly 60 years old).  Full description and  6 or 7 pics available on the listing.  I wanted to alert any who could actually put this to use, hence the post here.  Glad to have any comments, suggestions-- especially if I've missed the mark in identifying the wheel.  If interested please check it out at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262064...ORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Or ebay search = Porsche Speedster Steering Wheel

Glad to answer any questions you may have.  

Cheers,

~Gary

PICT2384

Attachments

Images (1)
  • PICT2384
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

"Solid, sturdy"

Not trying to rain on anybody's parade, but i had one of these on my '56.  Note the two spokes, not threer.  Authentic it may be, but if I could have afforded a Nardi at the time, I would have done that.  These wheels are very flexible.  After a time the small horn rim broke.  Or maybe I honked the horn too many times.  Or got too excited.  In any even, authentic is very cool, but a good steering wheel design this is not.

Hello all,

Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions-- much appreciated.   Just thought I'd revisit the "solid, sturdy"part I mentioned to see if I messed up there...   But, in the hand I'm getting zero flex or movement of any kind.   Braced against a table, and pushing straight down and really quite hard,  I was able to get a small amount of downward flex on the rim--seemed about what you might expect. 

Not sure how this would compare with other wheel options, but I can't imagine a circumstance where this would be encountered on a vehicle...  Unless you're really a bad driver, and things are going wrong quickly.  At that point, flexibility of your steering wheel will NOT be your primary concern-- I guarentee it!  ;- )  Thanks again.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.