Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

THIS IS NOT MY CAR – I’m just listing it here for a non-SOC friend

1957 Wide Body - (Classic Motor Carriages) 

Engine:

1800 cc Type 1 dual-port engine

009 Distributor

Pertronics Electronic Ignition

Empi 40mm carbs

Starts easily and runs well

Transaxle:

4 speed manual with EMPI shifter

Urethane transaxle mounts

There is also a strap that wraps around the bell housing for transaxle support.

New Urethane shift rod bushing.

Suspension:

Based on a 1972 Super-Beetle, trailing arm VW pan

Rear suspension is full IRS - Not swing arm

Stock Super Beetle front anti-sway bar

4-wheel disk brakes

Push button Parking Brake (Line Lock)

Fuchs Reproduction 7" X 15”  5-spoke wheels

Tires are Falken ZE-512 with about 1,000 miles on them

Front tires are 195/65R-15 and the rear tires are 215/60R-15

Exterior/Interior:

Black Paint outside (rated Good+) and Black Interior

Speedster Seats and carpets are in good+ condition - no tears or wear

Aero mirror on driver's door

Suspect a Red gel coat underneath the black paint

914 gauges, very slight pitting on the bezels, all work OK

Chromed CMC Roll Bar

Fuel sender replaced 2014

Ignition on steering column (Later VW column)

New Black soft top and side windows ( Never installed ), including all Soft top mounting hardware, windshield header bow and all snaps.

The windshield is new (installed by Gordon Nichols) and the top frame has lips for three Top latches.

I still have the white soft top that the car originally came with and will include it, but it has a few stains from sitting.

Bumper Brackets and Bumpers included (Never installed)

Background:

The car was built about 6 years ago by a mechanic in Mt Pleasant, SC, who bought the un-started kit from the original buyer.

Just under 1,000 miles since build.

There are a few spares included; Carb rebuild kits, etc. as defined by the seller.

It is missing the heat shields around the engine - $20 dollars in sheet metal and an afternoon to fab using Gordon’s paper templates.

This CMC is nicely appointed and finished, with a reliable, not over-built, engine. It still needs a little TLC to transform it into a show car, but all of the basics (and more!) are there and solid.

The car is currently registered in South Carolina as a 1956 Classic Kit Body, Vehicle ID: SC1032. The stamped VIN identifies the pan as a 1972 Super Beetle.

Price: $16,500

Interested?

Contact Chris Huber at:

chuber56@gmail.com

(843) 838-3484

IMG_0605IMG_0607IMG_0608IMG_0609IMG_0611IMG_0613IMG_0614IMG_0615IMG_0616IMG_0619IMG_0620IMG_0622IMG_0623IMG_0629IMG_0635IMG_0636IMG_0637IMG_0642

Attachments

Images (18)
  • IMG_0605
  • IMG_0607
  • IMG_0608
  • IMG_0609
  • IMG_0611
  • IMG_0613
  • IMG_0614
  • IMG_0615
  • IMG_0616
  • IMG_0619
  • IMG_0620
  • IMG_0622
  • IMG_0623
  • IMG_0629
  • IMG_0635
  • IMG_0636
  • IMG_0637
  • IMG_0642
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It IS a decent price.  Chris has always kept it garaged since he bought it, and unlike many of the people in the Beaufort car club, he actually works for a living as a software guy, working out of his house.   Because of seemingly constant project commitments at work, and the extreme heat of the summer there (as Lane has often reported) he doesn't get much of a chance to drive it so his wife wants the garage space freed up.  Like most of those we see with low mileage, he has a lot more into the car than he'll be getting out, but since he doesn't drive it much he's selling it.

Of the handful of Speedsters that used to live in Beaufort, this is one of only two left, the others have all been sold or moved (One sold on here when I sponsored it last year).  

If you're interested, please contact Chris at the email or phone up above and see what you can hammer out for a price.   I may have been a little tough on the writ-up above, as the car looks lovely both at a distance s well as close up and, with this low mileage, there is no wear on anything.

Again, I have no stake in this sale, but Chris is a friend and I'm helping him out.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Nichols

OK, folks, Chris has been advertising this through me exclusively on here and it has not sold.  This is a GREAT car for the last posted price of $14,500, but I guess it's not attractive enough for a pro-built, CMC.

To that end, Chris is lowering the price to $12,000 AND will be listing it on eBay later this week.  I'm sure it will go for more money on eBay, so this is your last chance to get a great car for very short money.  Read this thread through and I'm sure you'll agree that this is a LOT of Speedster for the price.

Contact Chris Huber at:

chuber56@gmail.com

(843) 838-3484

I realize that this isn't one of Troy's Outlaw Creations or a Merklin Masterpiece but why is it some used Speedsters sell for $30K or more and others, like this one, won't sell at half that price? If a fella was looking to get into the hobby this one wouldn't set him back much, leaves plenty of meat on the bone to make personal changes, and if he didn't like the hobby he could get out of it and not lose his shirt.

Go figure.

Gordon Nichols posted:

OK, folks, Chris has been advertising this through me exclusively on here and it has not sold.  This is a GREAT car for the last posted price of $14,500, but I guess it's not attractive enough for a pro-built, CMC.

To that end, Chris is lowering the price to $12,000 AND will be listing it on eBay later this week.  I'm sure it will go for more money on eBay, so this is your last chance to get a great car for very short money.  Read this thread through and I'm sure you'll agree that this is a LOT of Speedster for the price.

Contact Chris Huber at:

chuber56@gmail.com

(843) 838-3484

This is 07/08 pricing!

Yeah, believe it or not, under all of Pearl's beautiful white pearlescent paint lies a gel coat as black as a moonless night.  Can I be part of both clubs?  

Anyway, CARL!  CONGRATULATIONS!  Think of the possibilities - Go the MUSBJIM "No Worries" direction for a while and just enjoy it.  It's a nice little car and Chris' only issues were a jet clog (so he then rebuilt the webers and it ran great) and a weird CMC windshield glass (which he and I replaced) and the rest of the time it just ran well and got lots of looks at local car shows.

Later, if you want more, you can put your sleeping Suby into it or just go for that 901 five speed you have (since it's already IRS back there and the 901 practically drops in - OK, so I'll come down with Chris and we'll weld in the new nose mount for ya.  

Or just add a few Blingy bits to personalize it to be the east coast version of Jim's car - All ya gotta do is get the wheel spokes stripped and polished and pop on a rear rack and a pair of skis (no surfboards in Connecticut - you have no surf along your coast - maybe a nutmeg grinder, though) and you're on the way to old school blinginess.

And for those things that you might like added (and are included in the sale) you might negotiate with the good Dr. Clock to receive it when shipped north so he can do whatever you want done and then drive it home from there (you already know that part of the route, anyway....He's just left of Carlisle).  

This sounds like an exciting project in the making.  Have fun with it!

The issue with the windshield on both my car and Chris' was something akin to "watermarks" on one of the lamination layers within the windshield, such that you would see waves or flat bubbles when the light hit it right.  On both, these wavy/bubbles were seen all across the glass area, but particularly annoying in front of the driver.  Cured that with new windshields from Beck and they are gorgeous.  In fact, I believe I replaced the windshields on all five Speedsters in Beaufort when we lived there!  (I was on a roll one week    )

I was thinking, on the way home from seeing our grandson, that when I got to Beaufort there were 5 Speedsters and 1 Spyder in town.  I've helped sell the Spyder and three of the Speedsters and moved mine out of the state, leaving just one left, a black/black flared model with CMC Nerf bars and the usual CMC silver/gold rims (he is not a member, here, but "built" his own car).

That Spyder was a beast, bought by a Real Estate guy for his wife.  The car was black with a eye-popping red interior, a 2,260cc (?) Raby engine and a 5-speed - I think it was a Beck.  I drooled all over it when I first saw it and actually got to drive it once when it showed up at Tommy O'Briens repair shop and he asked me to help with a problem.  WICKED fast, super handling, all that stuff.   Apparently, after the first week or so of her getting her hair blown all around and the exhaust smell washing over the cockpit after stopping, she hated it (she was a Southern Cheerleader Chick - 'Nuff said).  I helped sell it to a guy I met at a Port Royal car show - I think he lives down near Savannah and runs a classy B&B in the Historic district, just up the street from Johnny Mercer's mansion.  It totally fit his personality.  

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.