Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

It was very short lived.

Ever since driving it home 200 miles on Friday, all i have heard from my wife is how i am going to die and anyone that is riding with me is going to die cuz its not safe - she even mentioned that the lab belts would seperate her in half...

As much as i want to ignore her - I really dont want to listen to it.... for as long as i have the car

Shortest speedster ownership ever? 2 days?

Titled as a 1958 Porsche Speedster - ( current Missouri title but soon to be Nebraska title )
Pretty fresh 1835cc with dual Weber 44's and electronic fuel pump
Sitting on a 1969 Pan
Originally RED gelgoat maybe - car was repainted Artic Silver in 2004 - Has some chips / from being a driver - one gash on top of driver side door.
Wide 5 Bolt pattern with steel wheels / porsche hubcaps - Great tires
Black interior - seats have a few tears
Back seat has a seat belt - front have lap belts as well
3 year old top and side curtains ( have receipts cost like $700 in parts, $300 in labor ) Top is perfect.
Carpet has not been installed - its in a bag and included with the sale

I bought this on Friday in Kansas City - drove it home 31/2 hours in 95 degree heat - ran flawlessly - 70-75 MPH average for the drive.. Runs great.. mechanically very sound - get in a go..

Paint is ok - maybe give it a 8 would be a 9 but there are a few chips where the original red is coming through.. only noticed 1 fiberglass spider back by rear bumper.

Interior - seats are comfy - driver side has small tear - passenger seat is pretty bad - I might actually go to my interior guy tomorrow to have him quote me on fixing it and then id install the carpet.

Has a decent Blahpunt Cd player with speakers in the door - sounds good you can actually hear the music when going down interstate.

That about it -Located in Lincoln Nebraska currently - 68502 is my zip code

$13000 - pretty firm - - going to have to pay nebraska sale tax and stuff when i switch title so need to make up for that....

let me know if you have any questions

Would trade for an e36 m3 sedan / coupe Or maybe older 911 porsche with back seat and belts

Here is link to tons of pics i just took.

Please keep post on topic - We can start our own thread about Wifes and how they effect the things we do - lets keep this on topic

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u203/vwsnaps/Speedster/
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It was very short lived.

Ever since driving it home 200 miles on Friday, all i have heard from my wife is how i am going to die and anyone that is riding with me is going to die cuz its not safe - she even mentioned that the lab belts would seperate her in half...

As much as i want to ignore her - I really dont want to listen to it.... for as long as i have the car

Shortest speedster ownership ever? 2 days?

Titled as a 1958 Porsche Speedster - ( current Missouri title but soon to be Nebraska title )
Pretty fresh 1835cc with dual Weber 44's and electronic fuel pump
Sitting on a 1969 Pan
Originally RED gelgoat maybe - car was repainted Artic Silver in 2004 - Has some chips / from being a driver - one gash on top of driver side door.
Wide 5 Bolt pattern with steel wheels / porsche hubcaps - Great tires
Black interior - seats have a few tears
Back seat has a seat belt - front have lap belts as well
3 year old top and side curtains ( have receipts cost like $700 in parts, $300 in labor ) Top is perfect.
Carpet has not been installed - its in a bag and included with the sale

I bought this on Friday in Kansas City - drove it home 31/2 hours in 95 degree heat - ran flawlessly - 70-75 MPH average for the drive.. Runs great.. mechanically very sound - get in a go..

Paint is ok - maybe give it a 8 would be a 9 but there are a few chips where the original red is coming through.. only noticed 1 fiberglass spider back by rear bumper.

Interior - seats are comfy - driver side has small tear - passenger seat is pretty bad - I might actually go to my interior guy tomorrow to have him quote me on fixing it and then id install the carpet.

Has a decent Blahpunt Cd player with speakers in the door - sounds good you can actually hear the music when going down interstate.

That about it -Located in Lincoln Nebraska currently - 68502 is my zip code

$13000 - pretty firm - - going to have to pay nebraska sale tax and stuff when i switch title so need to make up for that....

let me know if you have any questions

Would trade for an e36 m3 sedan / coupe Or maybe older 911 porsche with back seat and belts

Here is link to tons of pics i just took.

Please keep post on topic - We can start our own thread about Wifes and how they effect the things we do - lets keep this on topic

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u203/vwsnaps/Speedster/

Attachments

Images (2)
  • speedster1x
  • speedster
.... Certainly not Detroit iron ... at least drive it for a while, it may be along shot but over time the wife might warm up to it... if not then just go solo. In this case, haste does make waste as these cars are a blast town (I've on speedster number 18 and I'm still here all in one piece) We would hate to see you part with your newly acquired ride. ~Alan
Keep the car for solo drives or get a new wife :-)
I had a V8 Miata for three years that my wife would not, for any reason, ride in. Something about blowing the radiator hoses twice while going for a pleasant drive and having the car towed home. We came to an agreement-she wouldn't bitch about my car and I wouldn't ask her to go on drives. The monster's gone-I hope the IM fares better! :-)
Ya know, the tonneau cover snaps nicely in place right over the passenger seat.

It corners faster with only person aboard.

It's lighter with only one person aboard, so the gas mileage is better.

Ya might hear all kinds of comments from appreciative female affecionados that you might not otherwise receive.

Should I go on?
You do not mention how many miles are on it or when it was built, or who built it (Kit/Turnkey) etc....
IMHO, 13 Large seems a little too Large for a speedster in that condition, I suggest keeping it for a while like the others have mentioned, and perhaps the wifey will warm up to it, or cruise solo. you will need to keep it for a while to get your money back or at least the pleasure of ownership to make up for the loss financially.
My wife isn't a car person, but she likes being with me,(still haven't figured that one out yet)So I say lets go, and we go...
Already got big life insurance policy.... she went as far as to look online to see if lap - belts are even legal.... its not even that time of the month - she just left the house to go on a " walk " gonna be a long week....

I will enjoy it while its here.... that is for sure

More reason to go places by myself i guess - my 6 year old loves it

Car is a CMC i believe

Thank God for my wife, Alice! What a trooper she rode and did part of the driving from Hot Springs to Morro Bay, CA and two trips to Carlisle.

We have been married 26 years ---2nd wife due to similar issues as reported above with the first one.

As far as safety--I sure as hell am not one that enjoys cheating death! Search the posts on here about Speedster safety. For our own added safety,I have:

1. Installed a third rear brake light.
2. Swapped the original Bug horn for a REALLY LOUD air horn.
3. Added rear disc brakes.
4. swapped the engine to gain reliability abnd power to move away
from problems and easily stay up with (or ahead of) traffic.
5. Drive the car like everyone out there is trying to kill me. Ride
like I was on my BMW motorcycle with total awareness of traffic
and let NO other vehicles near me.

Your mileage may vary. Works for me tho.

Cory--that is a fine looking car and at $13,000 it is a real value. Good luck with your sale but I think you will need it. Posting here was a smart idea. Also try ebay with no reserve---you might get a nice surprise and even make a few bucks.
funny stuff - i told my wife i was going to make a speedster vs her list and she said she was going to post on facebook to see how many others think the car is safe...

Good times.

I listed the car on a few other sites for $15k just to see what might happen.

I really like those Manxter 2x2 but they are expensive - not sure how much more " safe " they are but they have individual seats for everyone and normal kinda seat belts i guess

As Jack stated : "Thank God for my wife" well Jack knows MY wife Kim and she has put up with almost 40 replica's in the last eleven years including very soon to be the.... 18th, 19th AND the 20th speedster projects all to get here within the next two week time frame.

Cory, YES.... do the FB thing, just let us know when it's done, there will be a a lot of posts from the guys and gals here ...we'll fix er' wagon ~
Like Jack I am blessed with a real trooper for a wife. She is an awsome mom, a great cook, takes care of the house when I am wraped up with my business and sits passenger side in the speedster with very few complaints. We just got back from a 1500 mile trip from Chicago to Carlisle and back. Oh, and best of all she not bad to look at:) Good luck with your sale.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • S4010040
Hey, if nothing else, at that price its a safer investment than the stock market! Tell wifey it's a good place to park some money for a couple of years until the economy picks up. (what year is the next election?) Now, everyone knows you have to start and drive an investment vehicle on occasion to keep everything in working order!
Boy does this sound familiar! I had a wife, notice HAD!

"You're just building that thing to pick up women": yeah right....

I have a Spyder, is it safe, what is really? It has got to be safer than a bike, at least there is a tube frame and some glass around me. I did paint it white with red stripes to make it different AND more visible than the previous silver.

http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab234/DannyPip/New%20Paint/

These days, my favorite girl in the passenger seat has been my 10 year-old daughter!

This is what I told my then wife: I don't gamble or do drugs, I don't cheat, and I don't stay out with the boys all night. So I have a hobby or two, what's the problem?

Cory, keep it and drive it, it looks like a nice driver. I have 18000 miles on my Spyder that I had since 0 miles!

BTW Desi: Fernanda can always stay here if she comes to the east Coast!
Cory said: " I'm thinking about keeping it been driving it."

Now you are talking.......retrofit to shoulder harneses for your and her peace of mind and if she never goes anywhere with you in the car, well "That's life!"

Tomorrow will be 32 years for Betsy and I and there have been a few rides she has NOT been crazy about.

You might also want to remind your wife that lap belts were NOT required in the USA until the mid 60's..........;-)
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.