Skip to main content

Probably the wrong forum, but I couldn't put a picture in the "anything goes"... and I wanted to share this great shot of some traffic entering San Diego on Hwy 101 (c.1961) The car (about 3 up) passing the city limit sign is what caught my eye! Is that a Conv. D??? I also cracked up at the sight of what looks like 2 surfboards on top of the VW Bug! And who knows, maybe that same car has now been reincarnated into a Speedster! The caption on the pic said it was taken in 1961 and gas was 19 cents a gallon. A few more great shots of old San Diego, if anyone from there is into "days gone by photos" of their city! Let me know!
1957 Vintage Speedsters(Speedster)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Probably the wrong forum, but I couldn't put a picture in the "anything goes"... and I wanted to share this great shot of some traffic entering San Diego on Hwy 101 (c.1961) The car (about 3 up) passing the city limit sign is what caught my eye! Is that a Conv. D??? I also cracked up at the sight of what looks like 2 surfboards on top of the VW Bug! And who knows, maybe that same car has now been reincarnated into a Speedster! The caption on the pic said it was taken in 1961 and gas was 19 cents a gallon. A few more great shots of old San Diego, if anyone from there is into "days gone by photos" of their city! Let me know!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • San Diego US Hwy 101 - 1961
I remember traveling south on 101 to get to San Diego prior to I-5. When you saw Torrey Pines, you knew you were getting close

I was 13 in 1961 and for all I know, we could be stuck in that traffic jam. We would make the occasional trip to San Diego to go to the zoo and visit the museums and because of traffic on the 101, you almost had to pack a lunch because the drive seemed to take forever from Los Angeles.
Great pic, I drive this road every week. The weird thing is that if you were to take a picture tomorrow, a Porsche Conv.D and a VW Beetle with 2 surfboards could very likely be in the picture. Most of the Detroit iron has sadly gone to it's great reward. I see VW bugs with boards on top all the time. Where did you get the pic?
Hi All!...Glad you liked the pic as much as I did. I got the pic in an e-mail from my Mom & other West Coast relatives that included a few of the 'nostalgic' pics of San Diego. This was the only pic with lots of cars in it, but if anyone wants me to e-mail the rest (one is a 1911 of the city before it was dredged by/for the Navy!, one is downtown on VJ day), let me know and I'll e-mail it to them! ... Susie
Nostalgic! Could have been my 57 Plymouth heading home with shifting and power steering both operated with just your finger tips. Put it on a rake with a wrench on the torsion bars. PCH was a great ride. By the 60s the traffic was getting as bad as the picture but you had scenery. Today I-5 is an 80 mph thrill ride through freeway landscaping and tile rooflines with the occasional view of the past. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.