Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

This car is not mine, but I do know the owner's daughter. The owner is getting elderly and the family is putting it up on eBay on Sunday.

I have never personally seen it, only heard about it for about 30 some years. I have the impression the car is in great shape! Pix posted FYI. Do not know what the sale details are.

Crash Test Dummy Guy

Attachments

Images (2)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I read this on a Porsche forum; "I read it on the internet so it must be true".....

All the factory GTs and you could order the m471 package which was basically a 914-6 with a few goodies, including the steel flares.

A few were factory, a few were dealer, kits were also sold. Remember, 914-6 were finished in the Porsche factory, not VW and only a very few had flares installed. Dealer installation must have been after paint. I think the total number of factory flared cars is ~40-60

DREAM ON! I just got back from Hot August Nights Barrett Jackson auction.  Totally original low miles 72 VW Porsche (or 914 if you prefer) was up for $12k.  I can see $30k on a steel flared fender 914-6 but not for a NB.  Good 914 resource is http://camp914.com/projectcars.html

6 yrs ago I bought a really nice 914 with 2.2 big bore for $2k.. Sold it for $5k and now they are fetching around $10k and still going up.  Heck why not have Renegade Hybrids build you a ferrari killer for $18k!?

Rich-

This is a clean, low mile example of a car that is becoming increasingly desirable. I know you're just being a nice guy helping out a friend's family, and don't have any financial interest in the car.

The thing is, the odometer not working is a huge deal that could be corrected for no more than $300. A broken odometer says, "This car could have 78,000 mi, or it could have 278,000 mi. It's hard to know for sure". It takes the biggest asset the car has (low miles and an unbroken chain of ownership), and throws it out the window. I don't care if the owner is 47, 87, or 127-- the seller isn't going to get anything approaching their hoped-for price with a broken odometer.

If this car is a relatively rust free all original example with original paint, motor, etc, and can pass a PCA accredited ppi, then $40K (or more) is a reasonable expectation.  I don't think the speedo issue will matter, as a thorough ppi should give an indication of ballpark mileage.  I'm not sure ebay would be my choice to market the car.  I would probably look at PCA affiliated venues or Hemmings first.  If this is a clean original example, and they are looking at $25K as a minimum acceptable offer, then they need to do more homework.

I'm with Tom on where to sell this car - Start with Hemming's Motor News (1'st choice) and/or the PCA classifieds (2'nd choice) and run it for two months.  If it's not gone in those two months, THEN put it up on ebay as an auction but I bet Hemming's will sell it in 1 month.  I would also set the price at $40K obo in Hemmings and then $30K in ebay.  I also don't think the non-working odo is a big deal.  Any decent Porschefile who knows what they're looking at won't much care about the odo anyway - they'll know what they're looking at.   These things are very little like replicas in how they sell.  Just remember that there are precious few real, numbers-matching 914-6 cars left around.

PLUS!  This is one of the 914 "sleepers" - it doesn't have those silly, tacked-on rear fenders to give it away and these cars went like the hammers of Hell.....Straight line, curves, nothing mattered.  A 914-6 was the only car my Corvair-powered dune buggy ever had decent competition from in Autocross in the '70's.  They are formidable cars, indeed.  Wish I had the cash to snap it up...This is about the only air cooled car I would consider as a replacement for Pearl. (And Cory now knows why!)

AUTOCROSS vs Track day:  THe older I have become the less time I have to stand around for 7 hrs to get 4 mins of seat time.  Only problem is lotsa car clubs like PCA will not let you run a "kit car".  As a result I have run my last PCA event even  in my 993.  My CMC "kit" has a roll bar and shoulder harnesses and is as about as safe as my 993.  Luckily there are other clubs that will let you run if you have brakes and a seat belt.  90 mins from me is a short vers of Laguna Seca that is a complete hoot.  For $175 a driver can drive up to 8 30 min sessions.  At my age (66) I am exhausted after 7 and just pop a brew, load on the trailer and call it a day.  BUt I loved looking at this video.  Makes me want to get out there after missing this year cause CMC not ready and 993 just had face lift.

THANKS FOR POSTING THE VID.  

Anyone in the NW or even NorCal should give this place a shot.  Only course as cool is perhaps THunderhill near Sacto.   http://oregonraceway.com

Rich,

It was just a suggestion to maximize potential.  It is a hot item, as the bid history indicates, but it also indicates that it is a 2 horse race at this point.  It would be nice to know as much interest as possible had been generated and nothing was going to be left on the table. Five or six guys fighting for it would certainly equate to a better result for the seller.  It is certainly fun to watch, though.  I wish the seller all the best.

At that price you start running into some serious competition.  If you want a mid engine Porsche, you might find a Cayman for 35k.  If you want a collectable 911, you are getting close to a 993..... I would like to have it and they are appreciating but that would be all in for me....

Of course, Baskin and Robbins  has more than 30 flavors for different tastes. 

Originally Posted by Stan Galat, '05 IM, 2276, Tremont, IL:

Rich-

This is a clean, low mile example of a car that is becoming increasingly desirable. I know you're just being a nice guy helping out a friend's family, and don't have any financial interest in the car.

The thing is, the odometer not working is a huge deal that could be corrected for no more than $300. A broken odometer says, "This car could have 78,000 mi, or it could have 278,000 mi. It's hard to know for sure". It takes the biggest asset the car has (low miles and an unbroken chain of ownership), and throws it out the window. I don't care if the owner is 47, 87, or 127-- the seller isn't going to get anything approaching their hoped-for price with a broken odometer.

Stan, I'll be sending you your crow for dinner...roasted or sauteed?...think of it as bad bar food

Wow - surprised bidding that high.  After looking at honest close up pictures it has had rust and considerable repainting.  It would need to be stripped and repainted IMHO. I haven't seen Michelin XAS tires since 1976 (had them on my '72 914). No mention of non-op odo just praise for its low mileage!  I've never seen a 914-6 without the fog lights in the front bumpers - looks bare without them ($300).  I'm not a fan of all the undercoating applied (wheel arches and door bottoms) - it traps moisture and hides rust.  Just not many made and it appears un- molested so perfect (albeit costly) restoration candidate. 

"What's My Car Worth" guy said (while driving a Studebaker Avanti) he hates to get in car where gauges don't work as it is indication other hidden pieces not maintained. 

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.