Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Handles like a 911 --- because it is 911.  Rare 1 year production - only 2099 made.  Rapidly going up in value.  That is great price - $20k is starting point CONUS. Would be ideal car for islands where you don't need to cruise 80 mph all day.  Just check for rust in pans and suspension (even though '76 is first year for galvanized lower body). 

Last edited by WOLFGANG

There are those that believe that 912's (including the 1976 E) are actually nicer cars to drive (being lighter and better balanced) than 911's of the comparative year. The E, with a hotrodded type 4 engine producing 160 or 180hp would be a killer car!

Looks like a nice car, Bill. Looking for something to fill a spot in the stable?

I've owned two of these. GREAT cars BUT a BITCH to smog (here in Calif). I used to regularly stomp the crap out of 911's on Angeles Crest Hwy where they couldn't out corner me! The 912E is MUCH better balanced and agile! Nothing better then running down a 911 SC or Carrera only to look in the rear view mirror and see the astonished look on the guy behind me as he read 912E on the tail! The early cars were NOT Galvanized but the later ones were so rust on an early car is a problem! 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_0457

I allowed myself to be talked out of about half a dozen 911s and 912s over the years, because they weren't "collectible" models. 

At this point, the one that keeps me up at night is the SWB SoCal 911 with the 3.0 S motor, sliver/black that went for $17-ish 5 or so year ago. That car would be $125K now.

If I were spending my own money, I'd find a 911E with a bad motor, and put a big-freaking Type 4 out back. If this one has no rust, and you want it: I'd make it happen.

I allowed myself to be talked out of about half a dozen 911s and 912s over the years, because they weren't "collectible" models. 

At this point, the one that keeps me up at night is the SWB SoCal 911 with the 3.0 S motor, sliver/black that went for $17-ish 5 or so year ago. That car would be $125K now.

If I were spending my own money, I'd find a 911E with a bad motor, and put a big-freaking Type 4 out back. If this one has no rust, and you want it: I'd make it happen.

I had one in the late 70's Very fun to drive, very agile, and great gas mileage. The engine is farther forward than on a 911 so the cornering is superb. If you are in CA only buy a CA car with all of the Smog stuff still in place. Most folks have removed the pump and plugged the lines. The 912E is not really a VW type 4. Different heads and the E fuel injection. I have been looking for another for some time. In spite of all the hype these cars are not really worth what folks think. $25k for a very low mileage unmolested example. I would not pay over $7500 for any other car. The sunroof is worth and extra $2k. 

Manxman posted:
Rod Ez posted:

I'm picking one up for 4k this week end. A little nervous about the cost of parts though. I was thinking about having Raby build the motor for it. THAT would be a fun car then.

That would be a KICK ASS car but beware of Smog regs! 

I know it Manxman. I am really scared of dealing with that. That is one reason why she is selling it. But from what I hear, there is a bill in right now to raise the smog requirements to 1981. Rumors? Maybe.

BobG posted:

Stan, you'll appreciate this. I could have bought a 912 from Brad Mayeur for $10k. Fresh motor and trans, new headliner, interior was terrific. It needed the doors res-kinned because of some bubbling at the bottom and new tires. I went another direction.

Just shoot me.

Was it the white one? We hadn't met yet, but if it was: I looked at it as well. I also passed because of the rust.

I think it had some rust repair in the longs, and at the suspension pick-up points on the front end.

Yes Art. Al is correct..."Carl has one"... and it's a pumpkin orange colored peach that personifies comfort, grace, torque, and tight corner eating agility that also snags a lot of 'thumbs-up' when boulevard cruising... and I love the fact that it has escalating resale value! My only complaint is the stationary window wings and the rear quarter windows that don't 'pop open'...I guess Stuttgart had to cut costs somewhere when they pulled two thousand 911's off the assembly line to satisfy the entry level American market since the 924 wasn't yet available.

Purchasing it from a gentleman in Utah was pure dumb luck. I was up surfing the net in the very wee hours and stumbled upon his offer to sell. I turned out to be first in line...first refusal.  By mid morning there were seven serious 'cash in hand offers' lined up behind me. By lunch-time I owned a pumpkin orange 912e!!!  

Impetuous purchase? Not really. Having been born in Utah into the remanents of a pioneering Mormon heritage I recognized this gentleman as a practicing LDS Elder  who sincerely believed that his every deed, action, utterance, would eventually be up for a critical heavenly review... everything he described was the totally God-honest truth   

majorkahuna posted:

Not to insult anyones's belief, but the LDS Church was one of my largest customers in a previous life. I almost always found the believers to be good on their word and deeds in spite of their very odd dogma.  On the other hand my experience with the FISH symbol is a sign to run or be prepared to be ripped off. 

It makes me really sad to hear this. I wish we'd have had the chance to do business, Noel-- I'd have liked to be able to prove to be the exception to your observation.

I'm an elder in a large-ish evangelical/charismatic Christian church. I'd like apologize for my idiot brothers, who have given you such a bad impression of a faith that should result in putting others first.

Stan thanks for your comments. Bringing issues of personal belief onto this forum usually causes problems for some members. However it is part of the hobby in the dealings with repairs, parts, advice, praying you do not break down, etc. 

My congratulations on your practicing of your faith. You would be a rare exception in my experience The world is of course filled with hypocrisy everywhere we turn. Perhaps it is because the Christian faith has been a large part of American culture for so long it is just more visible and pervasive. Christians certainly do not have a monopoly on the practice. What often I find interesting is my devout friends go out of their way to do business with a FISH and are shocked when they are taken advantage of by a fellow brother. Naivety is not unique to any religion or belief. 

Many Christian organizations are in fact political organizations and they do not pay taxes. This is one of the hottest buttons around and it irritates me beyond belief. Get back to the fundamentals of the teachings of Jesus and live your life as such. Few people really understand his teachings and fewer practice it. "The Bible is my second favorite book." 

The fundamentals of our Democracy are separation of church and state. Everyone needs to respect that regardless of their personal beliefs. 

If there is anything that gives my peace and serenity it is driving my car along a good twisty mountain road. It is for that brief few moments in time your mind frees itself and experience something a kin to Nirvana. It is unlike any other driving experience I have ever had, well there is always another story........

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.