Skip to main content

Hi there,
I have recently purshased an old Intermeccanica speedster,
the one built in Santa Anna, California in the year 1979.
I think that this Intermeccanica speedster were lately sold by Classic motr carriage in Miami. ( correct ? )
I have decided to go through a complete restoration of mine,
and I am trying now to figure out which kind of soft top and steel frame
I should use for it.
I heard that the new Vintage speedster production of soft top
should fit my car, but I m not yet sure.
Does any of you have experienced this situation ?
so is the old Intermeccanica 356 shape, the same as the today Vintage speedster ? same sizes ?
Thanks for your reply and help,
T
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi there,
I have recently purshased an old Intermeccanica speedster,
the one built in Santa Anna, California in the year 1979.
I think that this Intermeccanica speedster were lately sold by Classic motr carriage in Miami. ( correct ? )
I have decided to go through a complete restoration of mine,
and I am trying now to figure out which kind of soft top and steel frame
I should use for it.
I heard that the new Vintage speedster production of soft top
should fit my car, but I m not yet sure.
Does any of you have experienced this situation ?
so is the old Intermeccanica 356 shape, the same as the today Vintage speedster ? same sizes ?
Thanks for your reply and help,
T
Alan - probably nit picking and interpretation --- but "IM molded" cars were sold by CMC according to IM History web site:

"In order to produce the Speedsters, Mr. Reisner formed a partnership with Tony Baumgartner in Santa Ana, California. This company, Automobili Intermeccanica, produced about 600 of these fibreglass-bodied and VW-based beauties before Frank sold off his share to Tony and the whole project was sold to Classic Motor Carriages in Florida."

Clarifying key is they weren't sold as IM's but as CMCs and FFs.
Tom, Dennis may have to right approach. Do you have the old top? I have an old IM and I'm planning on doing a new top and tonneau for it, maybe this winter, along with seats recovered and new carpet. I was going to get it all done by the same upholstery place. I think new tops (Sta Fast) are in the $400 range from the vendors. I figure the upholstery guy can do it for that. It shouldn't be hard for him as he'll have a pattern with the old top.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.