Skip to main content

Not exactly speedster topic directly, except as may apply to non-air cooled transplants. Which appears to be the way of the future. I am a recent new car buyer, having wqanted to improve over my 15 year old Mazda 6, and  wanting another sporty sedan After doing some research, I find that that the subject engine spec is THE selection these days for sedans and many other mid-price cars, save for the larger SUVs, trucks and so forth.  I was looking for a 4-door sporty sedan, which appears to be an old fashioned idea these days.  I Had to have manual trans, and right there 80% of the possible models were eliminated.  Long story short, I ended up with a Honda Sport 2.0 T, T for turbo.  And so we get to the point.  This mill is rated reliably at 252 HP.  And it has very useful torque from 1500 to 4500 at least.  Red lines at 6500 I think. Direct inject, variable valve timing, both sides I believe, and turbo charged. It is very sporty, drives well, has 19" 40 profile shoes, and works as advertised, so far as I can tell.  Enjoying it immensely. 25 or so around town, and on a recent highway trip of a few hundred miles, returned up to 34 MPG, in case anybody cares.  For something like $30K. One can diddle the flight computer (ECU) in this car direct from the OBD (need a laptop too) and some shops present dyno curves very near 300 HP with no added equipment, just changing the values in the tables.  So there is that.  Recently saw an ad for a Volvo wagon, a new revision of that trusty old steed, with the subject engine provided with both a supercharger and a turbo, quoted at the factory at a little over 300 HP.  This seems to me to be a lot of spunk per cc (or ci, if you prefer that) for mass produced hardware.  As to the Volvo, I must ask what is the point of having both a supercharger (run off the crank, I guess) and a turbo charger too, run off the exhaust.  Isn't this getting a little insane?  I also see some 2.0 liter engines put in similar cars designed to be fuel efficient vs sporty  and just be fuddy duddy commuters,naturally aspirated. These seem to turn 150 to 170 HP.

I note the BMW 330i comes with the aforementioned 2.0 l 4 cyl, turbocharged to give 255 HP.  It also can be had with  the in-line 6 at 350 or so HP. And, as an act of pure heresey, this iconic sports sedan that started it all, and its AMG variant, does not, repeat NOT, come with a manual trans.  What have we come to??

2007 JPS MotorSports Speedster

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A supercharger gives instantaneous power, right off idle, but creates a parasitic drag (which hurts fuel efficiency). A turbocharger (especially one big enough to develop real boost) takes a while to spool up and produce pressure- but it’s harnessing what would be wasted energy, so it’s more efficient.

It’s my understanding that Volvo uses the supercharger to fill in the “turbo lag”, before it electronically decouples and allows the turbo to take over providing boost.

How much power as possible? I think VW drag-racers like Pat Downs are getting more than 400 hp out of air-cooled engines, and Fast and Furious-type “ricers” used to routinely double that from boosted and NOS-ed Mitsubishis and Hondas, but I doubt that is what you are really asking. 

Last edited by Stan Galat

One of the conceptual problems is that many of us, including me of course, are dinosaurs, who came of age when cars were comparatively simple.  In addition, we were influenced by the older guys of the time, whoever they were: dads, brothers, cousins, friends of friends, etc.  whose knowledge reached WAAAAY back.

When I was seventeen, in 1962, my dad bought his first and only new car, a 62 Dodge 4 door coupe with push button automatic transmission.  Dad owned a bar, and his customers kept telling him that these new automatic transmissions were the devil's spawn, and the crooks at the transmission repair shop were sharpening their knives in anticipation of Dad's first tranny repair.

Is there a correlation between then and now?  Of course.  Forced induction can seem like a flash in the pan, like a carnival barker, sleight of hand, or a 3 card monty game on the corner.  But, of course, it's not.  With higher fuel prices and federal mileage mandates a reality, but with a sophisticated audience that demands performance, forced induction is here to stay.

More parts, additional interface, more electronics and sensors, laptops for tuning, and the list goes on.  I love to watch car shows on television, but it's rare to see carburetors on a crate engine these days.  We can do it, fellow dinosaurs.  Hell, we're typing, sorry keyboarding, on 'puters, aren't we?  Of course, few of us can rebuild a turbo or supercharger, and that's part of the resentment, isn't it?

Somewhere down the line, guys who can tune Weber carbs will be as relevant as guys who repair steam engines and wooden-spoke wheels.  We all have our own line in the sand as to what we will buy/build/repair/drive.  For some, it's only air-cooled.  For others, Subi makes sense.  We're not all old coots like me, but even the younger guys get wistful about car style and engines from the past.  Our replicas give us the chance to follow whatever path feels most comfortable, and I'm glad we're not all marching to the same drummer.

@JIM KELLY   "...….who repair steam engines and wooden-spoke wheels"                      Be as it may I do know four guys in PA that still dabble:  Amish Tom still builds wooden wheels, Randy builds Stanley Steamer boilers,  suspensions & rack n' pinions ( yes they were on Steamers)  Otis that hammered and formed brass aluminum and sheet metal for the Steamers and other Brass era cars ...there was an artist. Lastly,  Daryl ( who has flown out to Leno's garage many times) still builds Stanley Mountain Wagons and Racers from the frame up but the demand has and interest has dwindled I'm lucky to have stood next to these last of the Craftsman for hours  watching in awe as they created their wares.  I missed my opportunity to be taught 15 years ago when Otis the sheet metal guy told me when his days were up his skill would die along with him.   I forget who I took over to  Daryl's Steamer shop place years ago I know one was Wild Bill Drayer can't recall who else.

Last edited by Alan Merklin

As they say, Jim Kelly, it's a big tent. We all have out own little niche of what we like, don't like, and certainly what we can and can't do.

When I proposed rebuilding my own transmission I thought I had committed blasphemy with the reactions I got. A very simple 50 plus year old 4 speed manual. But what's inside is black magic to some. Same thing with blowers, turbos, and computers.

Stan Galat posted:

A supercharger gives instantaneous power, right off idle, but creates a parasitic drag (which hurts fuel efficiency). A turbocharger (especially one big enough to develop real boost) takes a while to spool up and produce pressure- but it’s harnessing what would be wasted energy, so it’s more efficient.

It’s my understanding that Volvo uses the supercharger to fill in the “turbo lag”, before it electronically decouples and allows the turbo to take over providing boost.

How much power as possible? I think VW drag-racers like Pat Downs are getting more than 400 hp out of air-cooled engines, and Fast and Furious-type “ricers” used to routinely double that from boosted and NOS-ed Mitsubishis and Hondas, but I doubt that is what you are really asking. 

405 hp and 320 ft lbs of torque and naturally aspirated.

I think someone touched on one of the basic tenets here: As the number of parts goes up, reliability (and by extension the ability of any simpleminded guy with a wrench to work on it) goes down.  I do worry about that.  But I do have a '50s era go cart that will allow me opportunity to fiddle and diddle.  Sometimes too much . . .

And yes I am terrified of manual transmission repair.  It is an irrational fear, since I have never tried one.  Hopefully will never have to, but if I do, i'll be finding my way up to NY, and buying lots of beer.

Turbo lag: have experienced that in some cars, but I am here to tell you that the new Accord 2.0T is very responsive.  You can feel it kicking in and it seems quite eager to please at any RPM.  I have no complaint.  I think the computer controls how/when it works, and if you really don't need it to tool around town it does not come much into play.  Helps mileage that way, I guess.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.