Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yeah, Ed, a lot of P engines (356 and 911, especially back in the early development stages), by today's standards, didn't put out a lot of power.  The last of the 356's had the Super 90 and SC engine options (91 and 96 hp respectively, and both 1600's), which you'd think would make for some very spirited driving (and that much power is a lot of fun in a 1700- 1800 lb. plastic Speedster) but by then (1962 or '63?) a C coupe weighed well over 2,000 pounds.  It's not hard at all these days to get 95-100 hp out of a 1776, 1835, or 1915.  And all this hype (by P purists) about their 356 engines running so much smoother than a type 1 is just that- hype.  A >2 liter Type 1 making 140- 150 hp (with so much bottom end/lower midrange) that's a good combo and properly balanced/blueprinted is a joy to behold.  And it still costs less than a rebuilt  356 with all of 1720 cc's.

@dlearl476 posted:

When you put it like that…

A Pat Down’s 2.6L type IV seems downright economical.

If you want the ultimate powerplant for your Speedster, The Wilhoit 2.2 liter engine kit (currently developing 155-160 hp with a great torque curve, all in by 5500 rpm, which I have to admit, is where you want it to be) for the 356/912 engine is only $19,250- you will need to provide a complete rebuildable core (5,000- $10,000?), and a flywheel modified for a 215 mm clutch ($695), front oil cooler kit (no price listed) and 1.3 quart deep sump ($950) are recommended.  Assembly is extra.

Al, very nicely outlined on the Type 1 pro's. Many of the P purists are very difficult to talk with when they see ones beautiful replica, because their head is too deep UP THEIR BUTTS.

Fixed it for you.

IMHO, a 2276 or 2332 type1 built of proper parts will give a lot of smooth torque and can either be designed as a reliable cruiser(150hp) or a screamer(~200hp). It'll cost 7-10k in parts(including case) plus assembly and tuning.

If you HAVE to have an actual 356 engine, go for it. They are pretty cool.

Putting a 2.0 914-6 in a Speedster replica would be a fool's game. Using that same motor in either a 914 or early 911 makes sense. Or even putting it into a 912 makes sense. In a replica designed for a 4 cylinder makes no sense.

@DannyP wrote- "Fixed it for you."

I was thinking the same thing, Danny!   While there's no arguing that the 356/912 powerplant (in all it's iterations) is classic, too often when someone comes on here announcing he/she intends to put a 'real' P engine (and usually a bunch of other P parts instead of the usual low budget stuff we use) in his/her Plastic Clown Car I get the feeling it's for the wrong reasons- they're trying to emulate a factory correct build so their Speedster will rise above the regular replicar riff-raff, be more 'special' and therefore (they are thinking) be accepted into the P fold.  And while I love Bob's later 911 based Speedster, I agree an early 911 or 914 6 cylinder 2 liter is (as you said) better off in something it would have originally come out of.

And I agree, @Michael B (aka bluespeedster SoCal)- when a guy does the nose up thing and can't appreciate something because it doesn't have a P vin #, he's not a car guy, and he owns what he owns for all the wrong reasons.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.