Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Stan, All I can say is somebody is going to be very happy after they buy your car! All the bugs worked out by a guy more left brained than I am, a custom fitted hardtop, that while costing you over $4000, I know the guys that made it and fit it did not make any money on the deal, your car is a great buy!
Thanks Bill. The hardtop is what makes the car unique, along with some of the detail stuff I did to make the car more original appearing or usable. It took an unbeleivable amount of money and effort on my part to get the top to this point. Russ R from Fibersteel has no desire to do another one.

The car also has a full stayfast cloth top and side curtains I modified to make a lot more weather tight. I really spent quite a bit of time and effort "ironing out" the little detail stuff that drives a lot of new owners nuts after they take delivery of something custom.

The car looks fantastic, runs good, and has been a pleasure to own. I never had any intention of selling until I started to add up the cost of what I wanted to do next, and comparing it to the price of a new build- and I'm still not sure this is the wisest thing to do.

But the new car is on order- so right or wrong, this one's for sale. I hope whoever buys it appreciates all that's gone into getting it to this point.
Stan,

Your JPS will make someone very happy this summer. It's a great color, has the detail items, and that hard top is something near impossible to get done right.. and you have it perfect.

To Prospective buyers: This is your opportunity to snatch a great buy in the driving season. This car is ready now. And after having met Stan this past weekend, I know this Speedster is near perfect in all ways. Instead of worrying about engine issues... this one runs, and runs right. Instead of waiting on a build list that may get you a car by July/August, this car is ready now. It is tweeked, all the bugs are out, the engine is broken in and is ready for a road trip.

I just hope someone buys this that has a true appreciation for the value and TLC they will get in this car. It has all the post-buy add ons, those CB Kits for the ICTs look great (one example of the detail in this car.). Any potential VS or JPS owner shoud look hard at this one. Low miles, and it's still new.... the price is perfect.

Stan, If you don't get a bite after the east meet, I'd put it on E-Bay. It will fetch good money there... to some SOC member's loss.
You're very kind, Jim. It was good to finally meet you last weekend- I really appreciated your hospitality at Knotts, and your generousity in letting me drive your car. It truly is a work of art.

I assume everything went like clockwork at CB on Monday, since your are home posting again. Enjoy your new car- I've enjoyed just checking it out!
Stan, the Campout is coming up in a couple of months. A lot of interest has been shown in our cars in the past. With Henry, Dale, Rick, Bruce, possibly Paul and I there we can surely steer any prospective buyers your way. Many would jump at the chance at getting a car like your with the chance for a road trip back to the West Coast.

For what you're asking it's a steal.
Geez Stan,
That was your car at Knotts last year?
I've cut and pasted your ad into an email format to send to a few folks I know that have mentioned they like my car... 'cept for my crazy stripes, big engine, loud noises...well they liked the idea of a speedster anyway!
P.
P.S. Got a reply on an email and unfortuneately my associate bought a used mustang vert. The Dawg!
P.P.S. Have you talked to John Steele about a prospect that may have approached him on a build, but was not willing to wait for a start to finish build?
I had a 97 Jaguar XJR I consigned to a high end dealer.

The car didn't sell, although it got lots of "test drives". And I got it back with various trim bits broken.

I won't consign again unless I'm in a real bind.

I sold the car directly once it was back in my hands. The other thing to keep in mind is if you consign then you do the legwork and sell it, they still get a piece of the deal.

-Jeff
I guess there are horror stories everywhere, sorry Stan. I thought I had a good idea for getting into a more fertile marketplace. Oh, any additional renumeration due a consignor is usually based on a sale to lead they generate. Write your own ticket regarding specifics. If they want to sell your car they will accept your terms. Of course they will tell you you are tying one hand behind their back, but fuck 'em, you're just using their service to generate leads.

Did you look into Yahoo classifieds or Craig's list? I think you'll get more bites there and less 'tire-kickers' or wanna-Bs...
I was looking at the hard-top pictures. Very nice! I have seen alot of originals with hardtops, especially at the 2002 German Autofest in Ventura, Speedster was the "highlight" car. The top on your car appears to fit as well as on most of the originals I've seen. Absolutely excellent.
Paul-

Good question. The hardtop is light enough to that one guy could move it around easily- but I always get help to avoid scratching it. When I put it on/take it off, my wife helps me, and neither of us strain at all. The attachment points use the same type of clasps as the standard Vintage/JPS clasps on the header bow- two in the same header bow location on the windshield frame, and three around the rear of the cock-pit (on the inside).

As I said in the ad, I have a very heavy foam lined plywood storage case I built for the hardtop when not in use. To install it, the softop and frame has to come off the car first. When I got the car, this was a pain, but I've made some modifications to the softop frame, so that this is a 2 minute job, which requires no tools. Once the softop is removed, I open up the crate, and lift out the top- I hold the top on one window opening, my wife on the other. Approaching the car from the rear, we walk on either side of the car and set the top in position. I go inside and fasten the latches, and the top is on.

The polycarbonite side curtains require the installation of some seals on the windshield frame, and the removal of two "pegs" (for the full tonneau), just aft of the windshield frame. When I install the hardtop for the season, I remove the pegs and store them in a ziplock bag until I take the hardtop off in the spring. I have a length of adhesive backed seal material for the windshield frame/ side window seal that I cut to fit in the fall, and remove in the spring. I have a length of the seal material like David S used for his poly side curtains, bit it looked wrong to me to do the windows this way, so I put the seal on the windshield frame instead.

This sounds way more complicated than it is. The top on/top off thing takes considerably less than a half hour to do. You wouldn't want to do it every day, but as a seasonal thing, or something for car shows, it takes less time than washing the car, and really seperates the car from the every speedster I've ever seen.
Thanks Stan.

I see that you won't need to provide a 'How-To' video for the prospective buyer.

Yesterday's lunch drew out stories about removable hardtops that required the use of eye bolts, 4"x4"s (one of Dale's favorite after market tools)ropes and a lot of grunting and swearing...No wait, the grunting and swearing was Dale eating lunch.
Stan, if your prospective buyers need an electric lift to make the installation a single person operation, I have a line on a company that builds these lifts. They install pretty easily in the ceiling of the garage, are inexpensive, and can handle a heavy hardtop with ease.
I'll throw in a hard to get '356 Tub Club Badge' along with that Spooner Shirt. Even if it is one of the XXXLs (it could be used as a car cover).

I cannot not believe that one of the so-C lurkers and talkers have not snatched up this sweet Speedster Stan. Maybe that's all they do is lurk and dream. But, sooner or later, someone that has the true 'flick' on Speedster Rs will see this and it will go in a New York minute.
Stan, That is a lovely Speedster. I couldn't help but notice the additional build-up on the dash. That is one of the things that sets a great car off from the rest. It is one of those tell-tales that speak volumes to the attention to build detail.

I also noticed the headliner in the hardtop. That is far and away the nicest and most "original" way to go. It is much nicer than the headliners that some shops cheap out and glue to the inner surface of the top. Having the Glasspar top with the small windows is a classic look that can not be duplicated by lesser tops.

The turn signal switch also looks very sweet. Just like it should in a high end car!

I know you spent alot of time on this car and the pictures really show the depth of detail you went to. In my opinion it is underpriced by a couple thousand at least. Anyone looking for a nice speedster should check it out. Anyone looking for a great speedster should buy it.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.