Skip to main content

Greeting.  Just bought a used IM.  Water-cooled vw/audi 2.0.  I'm an olderish guy and have owned 2 Vintage Spyders in the past, vw air-cooled and subaru water-cooled.  I took a visit to Intermeccanica in 2003 but could never make the stretch to an IM until now.  Have been very impressed with fit and finish of the car.  Car sat a bit before I bought it so I have had to sort out a few things but have finally got the car ready for prime time.  Much more comfortable than the Spyders.  Not quite as fun to throw into a corner but at this time I'm ready to sacrifice the hair on fire thing for a little civility.

Phil Luebbert

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 356A Type D: Optional hard top in place.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Bruce

I am going to Carlisle.  Still need to secure lodging.
My email is:

Thanks
Phil

Originally Posted by East Coast Bruce - Maryland:

Phil, 

Great looking car.  There are a number of us "olderish" guys on here.   

If it's ready for prime time, bring it to Carlisle.  Check out info under "Events".  

Dialog your email address to me and I'll add you to the Carlisle info distribution list.

Bruce  

This is the car from the IM website.  It is an old Mercedes color.  I believe that the guy who owned it had a pervious car of that color when he was a child.  Unfortunately I can't answer many questions about history of the car since the prior owner died suddenly.  Bought car from his wife.  Have had to work through some issues related to the car sitting for some time.  Tires out of round difficult to balance.  In addition rear motor mount rubber had disintegrated causing severe vibration requiring replacement.  Radiator hose leak in front and bad CV boot left rear.  Replaced front lights with nice halogens.  Got a pretty good deal on car so didn't mind spending a little more to get it perfect.  Has vw/audi crate motor (base jetta engine SOHC 2 valve/cylinder) with 10,000 miles so should be good for the long term.

DannyP

Blast from the past.  Think I sold my Subyspyder in 2003.  Did strictly bikes for 11 years.  Covered most of the east coast on various sport touring bikes.  Crashed on a Ducati 750 monster in the smokey mountains about 4 months ago.  My body is still mending.  Decided to take a break from bikes for a while.  Sold my crashed monster and my Ducati ST4 a month ago and bought the IM.  Time will tell whether I ride again.  Wow.  I saw a picture of Greg Leach a couple days ago.  And I thought I looked older.  I guess we all do.  When I knew Greg he was just a skinny kid.  He sure made (makes) a great car.  But so does Henry from IM.  Just different.

Last edited by 550 Phil

Moved from FL to VA in 2005 2 years after selling the Spyder. I built the Subaru Spyder to race. Back then Greg was putting the radiator in the back. Unfortunately the engine would not cool during aggressive driving. I was in the process of figuring out how to relocate the radiator to the front when this rich guy called me from Ft Lauderdale. He asked me how much I had in the car. I told him $36k. He offered me $37k and sent a truck to get it the next day. I told him about the cooling problem on the track. He said he was only going to cruise it. I got a caterham super 7 and drove it for 2 years until I moved to VA. And yes I'm going to Carlisle. Made room reservations at the Marriott for Friday and Saturday.

Jack

I am 53.  Owned my first Vintage Spyder in 1999 at the age of 39.  Back in the day you wouldn't even think of opening the door of the Spyder to get in.  Just lift your leg over.  The 356 is a little kinder in the enter/exit department.

I see you have a Raby Type IV.  Honestly the Type IV would be my top choice for a power plant.  Was looking used IM and came across the 2.0L watercooled.  I actually traded my Porsche 914 to Jake for a transmission for my Suby Spyder.  I know at one time it was his daily driver.  Think Jake got the better end of that deal. 

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.