Skip to main content

All, I have been talking with Tom Raymond about the potential for a gathering in the mountains again this September, and need to gauge interest. If we get enough interest firmed up in the next few weeks he can get us some lap at Bristol Motor Speedway. The weekend currently available is that of Saturday the 15th. We need to determine if there is enough interest for us to pull in at least 10 or more cars to make it worthwhile.

I am not going to be as deeply involved this year, and will probably be staying in Asheville with my in-laws due to some home repairs putting a bite on us recently. However, if enough people are interested, I can see about setting up a group rate at the Hilton again, or I can let y'all pick your own spot. The drive to Bristol from Asheville is similar in length to that we took last year down to the BMW plant in Greer, SC, and the interstate is generally low traffic. If desired, we could go up (or come back) using back roads for a more scenic cruise. Any other days could be used for the Biltmore (for those who haven't been) or cruises on the Blue Ridge or other back roads. I'm open to ideas.

If you are interested and really think that you'll be coming, please let me know as soon as possible. I don't want to keep Tom and the BMS hanging out there too long.

Formerly 2006 Beck Speedster (Carlisle build car), 1964 Beck Super Coupe

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

All, I have been talking with Tom Raymond about the potential for a gathering in the mountains again this September, and need to gauge interest. If we get enough interest firmed up in the next few weeks he can get us some lap at Bristol Motor Speedway. The weekend currently available is that of Saturday the 15th. We need to determine if there is enough interest for us to pull in at least 10 or more cars to make it worthwhile.

I am not going to be as deeply involved this year, and will probably be staying in Asheville with my in-laws due to some home repairs putting a bite on us recently. However, if enough people are interested, I can see about setting up a group rate at the Hilton again, or I can let y'all pick your own spot. The drive to Bristol from Asheville is similar in length to that we took last year down to the BMW plant in Greer, SC, and the interstate is generally low traffic. If desired, we could go up (or come back) using back roads for a more scenic cruise. Any other days could be used for the Biltmore (for those who haven't been) or cruises on the Blue Ridge or other back roads. I'm open to ideas.

If you are interested and really think that you'll be coming, please let me know as soon as possible. I don't want to keep Tom and the BMS hanging out there too long.
Lane--I'm glad to see some planning for the annual fall Smokies event.
This is a wonderful time for cruzin' in a Speedster---beautiful weather and fine temps.

We have some new mambers who have not experienced the Tail Of The Dragon and I'd be up for that cruise again. Nothing like it and a Towendsend, TN HQ is a fine venue---or we could easily drive it from Asheville.

I vote for the same spot in Asheville as last year--great hotel and restaurants within walking distance.

Greenville, SC, where we visited the BMW plant last year is 63 miles from Asheville whereas Bristol is 85 miles up I-81. I would rather be cruzin' on Saturday that doing another 170 miles on the superslab right after doing 550 mi. to get there from Hot Springs, AR.

Maybe we could HQ in Asheville and have two options; One for the Tail Of The Dragon and one for the Bristol racetrack. We'd meet back in Asheville and have a group dinner Sat night.

Who will step up and honcho this event?

"Who will step up and honcho this event?"

That IS the question, Jack. Since I won't be as involved this year, I'd love it if someone else took the reins. If not, I can arrange a loose event that folks are free to customize as they desire. The Hilton has always been a hit, as has Travinia's. We can decide on several cruise options and let folks choose. Y'all toss out ideas.
Let's try and keep this one relaxed and informal. How about some input from everybody who is interested. We can then fix a few hard points (date, hotel) and then determine what options we have for entertainment/cruises/etc.. I'd be more willing to step up if I knew that I'd be able to make it, but this year looks to be an expensive one on the home front, so I am hoping to do something on the cheap. That doesn't mean the rest of you have to.

C'mon folks, we need some ideas. Also, if there is only limited interest in the Bristol thing, let's let Tom know as soon as we can.
I'm in, only thing that would mess up my being their is my new Grandson... but he is suppose to be here a few weeks before 9/15.

You know I'm good for the Bristol track or the trail.... there are a lot of other drives in the area we can take.

Lane since I'm in the area I could help out in running down hotel, restaurants, driving routes, etc.... Just let me know.

Clint
I appreciate Lane again getting this in front of SOC members. I cannot organize beyond working on the BMS idea, that is not 100% guaranteed, due to additional work on the track after the NASCAR races in late August.
John Hallstrand is not able to attend Sept 14 - 16.

Another fall weekend is Sept 29-30, which coincides with an innagural exotic car show in thevTriCities.

Above all, dates need to be selected, and a hotel secured ASAP, this is a very popular time in Townsend, Asheville and in between.
Let's at least co0naider a week later so John and Sarah can make it.

Or post 2-3 choices and have the group vote on their preference.

Last year we drove 9-10 hours to get to the Smokies event and felt
that the effort was well worth it. Has there ever been a better dinner than that wild and crazy German place??

Hey Aaron WTH are you??
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.