Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

either engine can be built to do just about whatever you want.type 4 has head drawbacks that type one has overcome in a big way.perhaps someday type 4  too will have a good platform to work with.

as for  fpcopo and his airport dude engine...(pat downs) Im sure he will be happy with it for a long time. a very long time, just change the oil&filter frequently the first month 7 you should be good to go.those are good #'s for that small of an engine,buit to last in a DD. and with the quality of the cb parts + they also stand behind thier stuff...hard to go wrong.

I'm kinda goofy and wanted to build a bigger engine like a 2276 or bigger but Pat said the Speedsters don't cool as well as a VW so we squashed that.  He wouldn't even do a 2180 as he thought the 2110 would do as well and cool much better with the 90.5 cylinders.  I had to listen to him because I have no experience in these cars. Is anyone having cooling problems with the bigger engines?

Originally Posted by Fpcopo VS:

I'm kinda goofy and wanted to build a bigger engine like a 2276 or bigger but Pat said the Speedsters don't cool as well as a VW so we squashed that.  He wouldn't even do a 2180 as he thought the 2110 would do as well and cool much better with the 90.5 cylinders.  I had to listen to him because I have no experience in these cars. Is anyone having cooling problems with the bigger engines?

Bigger engines will survive in these cars, but the combo has to be somewhat "street-friendly" and there has to be enough air intake into the engine compartment. Also, how much you are in tune with what's going on behind you (this usually comes with experience as you learn to maintain your beast, and you learn when you can push it and when to take it easy or even lay back a little bit) can be a big factor in how long any hot-rodded VW engine lasts. Mr. Downs is being conservative, but that's a good thing, especially with a new air-cooled owner. Al 

JamesBondSilver (sorry, I don't know your first name)- I would be surprised if your engine went another 1,000rpm with a rise in power, as the Webcam 218 is normally done about that rpm. Looks like a great combo, though! 

Last edited by ALB

I think pat has seen 95 % of these cars with very little engine compartment fully sealed as it should be. he is 1 covering his ass, and 2 covering your ass. Ive only looked at a few of these cars other than mine and none had the engine sealed up good like a vw did. not even the new VS I looked at was sealed worth a poop.I have seen some with no sourounding sheet mettel on the  engine, just shroud&cylinder head tins,nothing else at all. and the owners think there all just fine. so.... pat did you a flavor...and saved himself headaches&issues. thats a smart builder.

Originally Posted by marksbug:

I think pat has seen 95 % of these cars with very little engine compartment fully sealed as it should be. he is 1 covering his ass, and 2 covering your ass. Ive only looked at a few of these cars other than mine and none had the engine sealed up good like a vw did. not even the new VS I looked at was sealed worth a poop.I have seen some with no sourounding sheet mettel on the  engine, just shroud&cylinder head tins,nothing else at all. and the owners think there all just fine. so.... pat did you a flavor...and saved himself headaches&issues. thats a smart builder.

You should take a look at an Intermeccanica's engine bay.

If I'm not mistaken an Intermeccanica can be ordered with a 2332 from CB.

Originally Posted by Fpcopo VS:

Pat Downs ran my engine on the dyno yesterday.  150 hp and 146 lb/ft torque.  Can't wait to get it in the car and git it on!  Here is a link to the video.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzRG4X2jdWI

Wow, I just posted on the forum asking about places to have an engine built and I want...it looks like exactly what you got.

150 HP and 150 Torque out of a 2110.

Who built your engine and where are they located...and lastly are you allowed to state what it hit you in the pocket for???  Or ballpark it?

(EDIT)...okay just looked at the web...looks like you had it made turnkey from CB Performance in California???

I think you also went with my color choice...looks like your shroud is 57 STONE GRAY???

Wow...so jealous!!!

Zulu

Last edited by Zulu
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.