Skip to main content

Have a new 2275 engine, running a 120 engle cam, 044 heads, 44 webers. Engine starts great, idles fine until it gets to operating temp of about 175 then it fouls out plug #2. I'm lost as to a solution, and running out things to try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. On this long spit of sand I live on there is a real shortage of air cooled know hows.
Thanks, Jeff
1957 CMC(Flared Speedster)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Have a new 2275 engine, running a 120 engle cam, 044 heads, 44 webers. Engine starts great, idles fine until it gets to operating temp of about 175 then it fouls out plug #2. I'm lost as to a solution, and running out things to try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. On this long spit of sand I live on there is a real shortage of air cooled know hows.
Thanks, Jeff
If it is fouling out the plug, the question is: "Is it fouling because of oil reidue, or is it fouling because it quits hitting on #2, and then oil/gas fouls the plug?"

When it has warmed up, and starts missing, have you checked to make sure it is still getting fire to the #2plug? If so, is it fouling because of residue... if it's not spark, that's probably it. If so, I wonder if it's something to do with the heads? Like a bad valve guide that's running oil into the chamber and fouling the plug. That, or maybe the shim is missing in that jug, and the piston is slapping the top of the spark plug and zeroing out the gap to foul it out.

Just some thoughts. All these ideas should be obvious to a local mechanic.
jeff-you may have a carb issue, float issue? most troubles are self induced (not implying anything) but what chaged recently? did this problem just appear? does it happen while its driven or is this idling?
good luck.

ps-i just spent a beautiful week in duck landing/village.
it was our fourth yr going to duck, beautiful.
Played with the webers way to long. Tried another pair of them, no change. Hotter plug helped but did not cure. Put the kadrons back on and it is running good. Probably send the carbs out this winter for proper tuning for the engine but sure feels great getting back on the road.

Bruce, just went up route 12 thru Duck, no summer crouds, alot of retirees and young couples with under school-age children. The Speedster sure got the looks. Love living at the beach!
Gordon,
According to MapQuest its a 9+ hour drive, 492 miles. I'll look at a map and see if the ferry system might work better. We did a run to Morehead City and back earlier this year. Trip there from Kitty Hawk was about a 6 hour drive and 294 miles of 2 lane. Return trip was another 6 hour adventure except we used the NC ferry system, 3 different ferries and only 96 miles of driving.
Actually, the ferries sound like a cool idea........

Being a life-long New Englander, where towns are only a few minutes apart, it always overwhelms me a bit when I go to other parts of the country and find how far apart everything is. I remember as a kid, driving from Houston, Texas, to Brownsville - took an entire day to get there and we never left Texas!! Can't do that here in Rhode Island.......

For example, we're heading to the state capital today for a doctor's visit - we're on the extreme East side of Rhode Island and the capital, Providence, is about in the middle. Takes us about 20 minutes to get there (and we have to drive through part of Massachusetts to do it), 30 minutes if the traffic is heavier. If we kept going West, we'd be out of the state and into Connecticut in another 30 minutes!

P.S.: you know.....you never hear of problems with Kadrons on here.......
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.