Skip to main content

And as far as the answer from "Grok" up above (and I'm SURE that Robert Heinlein would feel the same way as I do) he doesn't know his ass from his elbow regarding aircooled VW and Porsche engines.  As I was reading his "answer" (mostly BS, in my opinion) I began to wonder if that answer was from ChatGPT but even ChatGPT would have been more intelligent than that BS.  

You want to know what's going on with these engines?  Stay off X (formerly known as Twitter and not very good for real facts back then, either) and ask your questions on this forum.

BTW, I accessed the data in Grok's Fun Mode to add some humor to this forum

@Sacto Mitch posted:

Why do you think they call it artificial intelligence?

We’ve already got more artificial intelligence than we have any use for. The problem is that most of it isn’t being generated by computers.

What our schools should be teaching is not how to program computers to create AI, but how people can recognize BS when they see it.

Gee Wally I don't know what to say...

Btw, robotics (AI) is the leading successful surgery tool one can get. To mention just one example.

About the schools failure is not AI's fault... Schools have been failing kids since the mid 70"s

Todd, first off, apologies if you took my post as an attack. It wasn't.

I was attempting some wry humor that I thought we might all have a laugh over. I may have failed at that, as I often do.

But the AI-generated article you posted is, for me at least, an example of AI gone wrong. The article has very little useful information for someone wondering about why their engine is leaking and just tons of absolute nonsense.

You're right, in the right hands some brilliant work is being done with AI today, like the surgery you cite. But it's the 'right hands' part where the potential problems lie.

Before the emergence of AI as an easily available tool, we already had huge problems with misinformation circulating on the web, often deliberately and for dark purposes. AI in the wrong hands could potentially multiply these dangers a thousandfold.

So, while on this forum we might have a good chuckle at some poorly-done AI used to solve real-world problems, there are also some lessons there about letting genies out of bottles.

Personally, I'm not a fan of draconian measures to limit the use of a potentially useful new tool. I'd rather see more resources dedicated to creating a better-informed, perhaps more skeptical public, in an age when genuine intelligence seems harder and harder to find.

Cheers!

Last edited by Sacto Mitch

You all caught the part where he said he asked Hal for a humorous response, right?

Granted, it swung well wide of “funny”, but you’re asking a machine to be Jim Gaffigan? My highly intelligent near-40 y/o daughter can’t pull off “funny”, and she’s an actual sentient being (unless there’s an unemployed and wholly incompetent man involved).

Y’all need to go for a drive or something.

Last edited by Stan Galat
@Sacto Mitch posted:

Todd, first off, apologies if you took my post as an attack. It wasn't.

I was attempting some wry humor that I thought we might all have a laugh over. I may have failed at that, as I often do.

But the AI-generated article you posted is, for me at least, an example of AI gone wrong. The article has very little useful information for someone wondering about why their engine is leaking and just tons of absolute nonsense.

You're right, in the right hands some brilliant work is being done with AI today, like the surgery you cite. But it's the 'right hands' part where the potential problems lie.

Before the emergence of AI as an easily available tool, we already had huge problems with misinformation circulating on the web, often deliberately and for dark purposes. AI in the wrong hands could potentially multiply these dangers a thousandfold.

So, while on this forum we might have a good chuckle at some poorly-done AI used to solve real-world problems, there are also some lessons there about letting genies out of bottles.

Personally, I'm not a fan of draconian measures to limit the use of a potentially useful new tool. I'd rather see more resources dedicated to creating a better-informed, perhaps more skeptical public, in an age when genuine intelligence seems harder and harder to find.

Cheers!

I appreciate it but no need to apologize Sacto... I'm a former Silicon Valley engineer with a lot of past fun projects. I understand most folks are worried about AI and we should be. I have a lot of trust in Elon Musk and his team to create the superior AI to thwart the other 4 companies coding theirs.

Ai has been around for over 25 years and it was called automation like when you call your bank, healthcare provider or Internet providers...etc.

With the current team at X, Tesla and Neurlink we are safe hands so far.

Ha, ramped up my Viking cruises this last year or so.  Did Puerto Rico to Panama Canal, Budapest to Bucharest (side trips to Bratislava and Brasov), and just returned from NY to Reykjavik!  Greenland was ice-bound (saw ice burgs as big as houses!) so we missed 2 ports there (this was just a week ago!)  They gave us $1500 credit to next trip - agh, they never give the $! So booked LA-Hawaii-BoraBora-Polynesia-LA at end of Oct.  Big 1/2 off sale with free air/drinks and 33 days.  Kills my spare retirement time but trying to squeeze in my bucket list before I need a walker.

iceberg1iceburg2

Attachments

Images (2)
  • iceberg1
  • iceburg2
Last edited by WOLFGANG

Glaciers are pretty cool (see what I did there}. Marianne and I took an Alaskan cruise with a few glacier stops. At Ketchikan, we decided to take a side trip up on the Mendenhall glacier.

We took the helicopter up to the middle of this huge glacier,got out and walked over to where there were some other people, and turned around to see the helicopter leave. I wasn't sure that I was happy to be in the absolute middle of a glacier without ready transportation off.

We did the walk around, looked down a crevasse, and got down on our bellies to taste some fresh 12,000 year old ice melt - tasted like water.

We marvelled for a while, got back on the helicopter (phew!), and made our way back to the boat. Bucket list item checked off!IMG_10406.2.4.1 Yum

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_1040
  • 6.2.4.1 Yum

During our trip around Alaska a couple of years ago, like everyone else, we flew a few times to get from here to there.  On one such flight the weather was very clear (June) and we could see the vast area of ice fields that are the birthing places for many glaciers.  The glaciers may be receding these days, but I can assure you that there is still a gargantuan amount of ice up there.

Glacier recession: at Mendenhall there is a visitor center that you climb a few flights to get to a balcony from whence you can enjoy a pretty nice view of the glacier several hundred yards off in the distance.  Then, you can take a walk along some trails through the fir forest behind the center.  a mile or more of said trails.  every now and then you see a large boulder in the ground with a year painted on it.  Said year denoting where the glacier ended then.  Also they remind you that up on that balcony if you could stand there in the 1800s, you'd be under about 30 feet of ice.   Gives you pause . . .

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.