Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Rich---lookin good! What a beast this is going to be. Jake refers to these engines as "Super hero" ones and you are definitely gonna find out the reason for that moniker.

I see that it is twin plugged---great idea and supposed to offer solid benefits too. David Stroud knows all about that from his Lycoming days.

You ae going to love your rear discs. I often read "you don't NEED 'em" But hell, we don't NEED a Speedster, do we? You really need some stopping power with such power and you'll have it in spades. One of the best improvements I did to my ride. What brand did you get?

Last--I like the valve covers. What are they? I hope they stay dry of oil unlike so many after market valve covers---Cory can attest to that.

I know you are stoked---who wouldn't be?
Thanks, Angela, right now we are going to use the same starter I had in there before which I believe is just your plain old "stock" version (whatever that means, I'm an idiot you know, right?). I'll mention it to my guy. Though I did ask the question regarding the starter back a few weeks ago. This, as you know, along with the engine, had just been lying in wait all these years, but the engine was gone through pretty well now, taken down to just shy of crackin' the case. Changed the valve springs for sure and found a couple of other issues that were corrected. Right now, we're feeling pretty confident with everything.
I'm anxious to see it running soon and driving it as well!
Rich-

You've come a long, long way since you bought that car, and have made very few mistakes along the way.

Going Type 4 from the start was the right thing to do. Buying the high-bucks Tangerine exhaust and going through the hysterics to make it fit was the right thing to do. Buying the big motor from Oscar was the right thing to do. Tearing the new motor down and refreshing it was the right thing to do. getting a new transaxle geared the way you'll need it was the right thing to do.

It's amazing how we come into this hobby thinking, "Cool car. VW parts. Should be cheap, right?" right before we drain the money-market account for some better do-dad.

Your car is brilliant. I'd love to see it in the flesh some time.
Bummer. Stopped by the shop this morning hoping to get some video of moving parts and exhaust sounds. No such luck. Seems the alternator took a hike and will need to be replaced. Odd, but he did note is was showing signs of problems way back early on and tried to repair it then. Guess that didn't work. So, a newer generation is on order for a Tuesday delivery. Good news is that the short drive around the shop a few laps yesterday shows good low end power pointing to a happy mix of engine and exhaust. Tranny and shifter are currently a little stiff I'm told and should loosen up with some miles. Too many other customer cars in the way to pull it outside out for a start. Patience.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • OnRack
Since I was there last week. The oil filter connection needed some machine work, started to spring a leak after getting warmed up and some miles put on it. A fan for the oil cooler has been ordered after initial driving and noticing the temps climbing slowly and not showing signs of quickly diminishing (the curse of the 911 shroud no doubt, see recent thread on the subject). Based on what I read from you other 911 shroud guys, it sounds like a prudent thing to do. The sender unit for the fan that was originally installed showed signs of not working due to some silicone goop added to the internal connection, a new one was installed. Some tweaking of the shifter was needed in that 4th was very difficult to find, this supposedly has been corrected. Carbs have been sync'd but the weather has not been real conducive for that...pretty cold and rainy here last week. With temps gradually starting to improve I hope that issue can be cleared up this week. Alignment was also difficult to assess because of extreme wind conditions here as well. Near term weather and my upcoming near term schedule predicts a drive home time of next week some time...just in time for Carlisle...oh, that's right, I'm not attending.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.