Skip to main content

Same old story, we're getting there. The oil cooler fan was found to be a mismatch and a correct one is on the way. But, I was offered to actually take it for a ride today. Too bad my time was limited and this fancy-schmancy race car would of had to be pushed out of the way in order to drive mine. I had to contain myself and declined. Wires etc. are getting bundled into a neater fashion and the air cleaners are on with the passenger side just barely clearing the hood. Early next week and I'm afraid to look at a weather map now. Sorry, the picture isn't much different than the earlier ones and may be getting boring.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Buttoned Down
Hey, it's Tuesday and WE HAD LIFT OFF!!!! Now to put some miles on it to see what it really does (probably put on about 70 miles already). So far the observation is...HOLY CRAP, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! Plenty of low end, I'm keeping it below 4000rpm, tranny slightly notchy yet and really liking the new CSP shifter. The new shocks and camber compensator seem to be doing wonders. The Tangerine exhaust has a noticeably nastier snarl as well. I do need some new windshield wiper blades since I was tempting the periodic showers and really didn't want to put the top up either. All in all, very pleased, even running on regular gas (so far, that seems fine). With the fan facing the back, there's even slightly less noise in the cockpit. Film later on, probably at 10:00pm.

Well, finally, Rich---great to see it's running well and that you're pleased with it. You have a really nice ride and I know you are going to enjoy it.

Regular gas--huh? Mine is supposed to be 91 octane or better. I haven't experimented with regular and guess I won't. If you can get away with it great for you.

Congrats on getting it completed!
Day Two: The first tank full was rather ominous...13.5mpg, but it's always hard to judge the actual fill up in a Beck tank as far as I'm concerned.

Day Three: Haven't filled up yet, but I do believe the next tank is going to yield closer to 20mpg. Have over 200km on this tank tight now. Put a few more miles in the past 24 hours and more in 4th gear this tank full. This time on the freeway and local roads. I suppose crankin' all day at 3500rpm's will have some sort of an affect. Plus, with that 8 gallon tank and the filler hole tucked up there high in the trunk, sometimes it's hard to figure out what is "really full", so mileage figures can vary if you're not really careful with "a fill-up". So far, I've put close to 230 miles in just two days of cruising around. Won't be long before a valve adjustment and oil change and then a few more rev's. This sucker is gonna haul once it's broken in!
Rich---it sounds magnificent. That engine is brand new and tight ---it will take a while to loosten up and you'll see good improvement in your MPG. Do your calculation after a fill up too so you will know exactly what you have burned when you refill it.

I really think you did a very smart thing scoring this engine.
Enjoy!
That engine was designed for 70MPH @ 2,950 RPM. Thats what the gearing and tire sizes were in the original vehicle it was built for.. Spinning it 3,500 RPM is just making a lot of noise, burning gas and building friction. I'd almost expect high oil temps from the added friction when ambient temps get 85*+ in the summer.

I have an engine thats 100ccs larger than this one in my 68 Double Cab, it averages 24 mpg in a very non aero friendly truck and 70 mph is 2800 RPM with the Porsche 923 tranny, makes 170 HP at the rear wheels, 215 at the flywheel.. No engine thats larger than 2.3 liters is built for MPG.

Turning that engine 3500 RPM I can't believe that you were able to get 20 out of it.. It will probably improve after it loosens up a bit... Its only been a decade since it last ran.
Just so I don't sound totally stupid in the eyes of some of the more knowledgeable folks here. I should be a little more clear in my excitement of driving my Speedster now with the new (yes, refurbished Mr. Jake Raby) engine. Since I am in a break-in period, I am keeping it below 4,000 rpm's for the first 500 miles or so at which point I (my mechanic) will change the oil again and adjust the valves.
So while in this break-in stage, I have been closely watching the tach and that 3,000 to 4,000 area has been the usual range on acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear. I got it out on the freeway yesterday for 10 miles or so and cruised at 60 to 70mph for awhile (please excuse me for forgetting to note the actual rpm range) and, of course, the rpm's were not in the 3500 range. My new Rancho tranny should create rpm ranges near the attached chart of my new gear set...3,000 rpm's looks to equal about 62mph. So, ya, when I am doing 3,500rpm's it is making noise, burning gas and causing friction, likely physics kinda stuff...even dummies like me can grasp that!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • SET
Nope.

And more to the point, he's running an AIR COOLED engine, right? Optimum cooling is between 3,000 and 4,000-ish rpms, so if you're running 3,500 rpm at 70-75 mph, that's just fine. Don't get hung up on engine noise or wearing everything out faster at higher rpms. You won't. That engine could run all day, every day at 4,000 rpm and still live for over 100,000 miles, but where are you gonna run at 80+ mph???????

I don't know about you, but my engine doesn't really start to breathe until 3,500 rpm and sits there and drones below 2,750. It seems to love being between 3K and 4K.
This is a big engine, it makes its power at lower RPM points and it was originally designed for a Porsche 901 transaxle with even taller than stock gearing.

All too often people outfit high torque engines into vehicles without considering the fact that the original "short" gearing of a T1 was designed for a weak little 1600 engine that HAD to spin higher RPM to remove load from the engine. This also increases fan speed, which makes it a win-win for the small low powered engine to run cool.

Enter the large displacement engine that makes more torque than HP and can cruise down the road effortlessly without working its self to death. That engine doesn't need short gearing, and short gearing just pulls it way out of its power band.

You guys that have T1 engines are playing a totally different game than this large displacement TIV, which is why we say "its all in the combo". My last cross country R&D trip put me at 70MPH at 2,500 RPM and I travelled 3,450 miles at an average speed of 76MPH with average fuel economy of 23.8MPG. That was with 180HP and when I reached my destination on the opposite side of the country it was still good for a 94MPH pass in the 1/4 mile. See the data here www.aircooledtechnology.com/crosscountry

The TIV loves to use its torque and there is no better way to do that than proper gearing. What is proper for a T1 will not be proper for the gross majority of TIV engines.

Don't poke around too much with that engine, don't be afraid of RPM- It saw 6,500RPM sustained here before it left and it already had 12 hours of run time on it- No break in required, I do that before the engine ever leaves my care and control.
Put another 100 plus miles on today and haven't checked the final numbers real closely, but the tank needle is still up there yet and not touching bottom. Looks like the mpg's are going to stay up there as long as I'm not "standing on it" which is certainly understandable. Plus, I am still running regular 87 octane and it seems to like it. No knocking or pinging that I can detect.
I did check the speedo today on the freeway at 3,000rpm's in 4th and it's doing right about 62mph (hard to tell with the speedo bouncing around as mine has a tendency to do)...and yes, Jake, there IS some torque there, not always the need to be in a lower gear. You ran this thing for 12 hours 12 years back? Really? You sure? On another subject, last year I pretty much stayed out in my neck of the woods (and I do live out in the boondocks where the roads are not your typical pot-holed urban trails), man these Speedsters can rattle your fillings in the city where I was today for awhile. I think I'll just stay out here as much as I can! :-)
Guys, to your earlier points about the "80mph Club". Last fall, with my original engine, I got the Speedster up into the mid-eighties. But, I decided that day that anything above that was not going to be my cup of tea...I was more fixated on staying on the road than watching the speedo. In fact, I was watching the tach and not the speedo which I had never noticed being in that range before in 4th gear, I came home and did some math to determine my appx. speed! "Yikes", I remember saying to myself. Another trip to the pump tonight resulted in 22.22mpg which consisted of much more cruising at 55-65 mph.
I know we've got petroleum industry guys who are going to cringe at this explanation, but I ask that you allow me to greatly simplify for those who may not understand anything about octane ratings.

Greatly simplified, octane is the resistance of a fuel to pre-ignite (knock). Pre-ignition is really, really bad. as an aside, just because you can't hear the knock from the cabin, with your middle aged ears, in the wind doesn't mean it isn't there. If you think it might be knocking, it probably is.

Again, greatly simplified-- greater heat-soak in the engine has the effect of increasing the tendency of the fuel to pre-ignite. Advancing spark can help an engine run better (to a point), but it also increases the tendency to pre-ignition. Increased dynamic compression ratio gives more power, but it also increased heat (and, of course, pressure), and can cause a fuel to pre-ignite.

Modern engines have knock sensors that retard the timing when "knock" is present, so fuel quality is something we've all become accustomed to take for granted. There is a great difference between 87 and 93 octane.

My thinking is: I want to run optimal timing, A/F mixture, etc.- but the limitation is always going to be heat and the tendency of the fuel to pre-ignite. I want to start with the things that are not changeable and begin tuning from that point. We have readily available 93 octane (with methanol as an oxygenator) everywhere in the midwest. I tuned one year for non-alcohol fuel, but it seemed stupid to me to NEED to run gas I could only buy at one station 15 mile from my front door.

Putting the best readily available fuel you can find in the tank costs about .25/gal more than 87 octane, which means a fill-up is going to cost about 3 bucks more. Even a midwestern tight-wad like me can live with that. I only drive the thing 3000 miles in a good year.

If I start with 93 octane, I can run optimal timing and optimal A/F ratios in my 10:1 engine up to about 90 deg or so. After that, I need to either back off the timing, or fatten up the mixture. Next tear-down, I'm going to dish the pistons to drop the C/R to about 9:1, which would allow me to do anything I wanted.

I'm running a DTM and nicasil cylinders, or I'd need to back that number off a full point.

If I remember correctly, you are running 8:1 or so in that engine. You should be able to do whatever you want with the timing and mixture (and shroud) if you run better fuel.

I'll bet you could get near 30 mpg out of it. I wouldn't let the nay-sayers pick apart what you are doing. I think you are going to love everything about your big, lightly stressed Type 4 just the way it sits.
Stan, if I may ask what are you using as an oil cooler with your DTM and Nickies? I am using a 914 or 911 aluminum cooler in the DTM and it is not enough cooling. I am running 9:1 compression with ceramic coatings on the heads, valves, and piston tops. The head temps stay quite low...but the oil, not so much. I have done a dry sump with twin coolers up front but that is a lot of complexity and I took it off recently and reinstalled the DTM oil cooler, I don't remember if Jake told me it was a 911 or 914 cooler...that was some number of years ago....I suspect I will need to add more cooling when summer hits here, for certain....just looking to see what others have done and there are not very many of us running nickies.....
thanks, Jim
Jim-

I've got the coatings as well in the combustion chambers and exhaust ports. The cooler in the DTM is a Type 4 (914), which is what they are made for. I'm also running a 96 plate EMPI cooler with a fan. I use a Mocal sandwich thermostat.

My CHT temps are good as is my indicated oil temp, but I have to de-tune (either run richer than I'd like ,or with less total advance) for pre-ignition.

I'm in the middle of dry-sumping it, which means a lot of re-doing. I'll post pictures when I'm done.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.