Skip to main content

Corey, our Arizona weatherman and I met in Cayucos today at Ruddell’s Smokehouse (best smoked albacore tacos on the West Coast) for lunch.

We then saddled-up Whitecloud and Whitewalls and headed over Old Creek Road past Whale Rock Reservoir so Corey could sample our backroads. 

Arriving at 46 West just across from Santa Rosa Creek Road, we couldn’t resist following  it several miles to the apex of the grade (at Cypress Mountain Road) where we savored the magnificent view of the coastal mountains and ocean below.

With all intentions of heading to my house to practice on a surprise for Saturday evening’s festivities, I took Corey by a friend’s house on the way to show him a buddy’s “real” ‘58 Speedster. Mike was thrilled to show us his daily driver and blurted out: “Let’s do the Naci-Ferguson...now!”

Ignoring the fact that it was already almost 2 pm, we all agreed that Mike’s was a great idea. 

It was (a great idea), and we had a “spirited” drive taking my short-cut (Interlake Road) to Jolon Road (G14) to Fort Hunter Liggett and over the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road which ascends several thousand feet over the Santa Lucia Range before emptying us out onto Highway 1 at Kirk Creek.

Mike then led us down the coast to Cambria for dinner. After which Corey headed South to Morro Bay and Mike and I took 46 over the Santa Lucia’s once again, returning to Templeton and Atascadero.

Mike, Corey and I put 160 miles on our cars from Mikes house. Corey and I added 200 miles to our odometers. It was a perfect day on some of the best asphalt on the Central Coast!

840B1F30-72DF-4E71-9B84-4F50086E382458A4799C-81B5-432D-9860-AECCD2F206B1D90EAC74-18F4-4D42-A924-5976892497DFF649118B-E393-41B2-86C1-8EBBE552F430669BD605-5B8B-4510-917F-00391C3A2B4E

For the poor, every day brings trouble, but for the happy heart, each day is a continual feast! 

Proverbs 15:15

Attachments

Images (5)
  • 840B1F30-72DF-4E71-9B84-4F50086E3824
  • 58A4799C-81B5-432D-9860-AECCD2F206B1
  • D90EAC74-18F4-4D42-A924-5976892497DF
  • F649118B-E393-41B2-86C1-8EBBE552F430
  • 669BD605-5B8B-4510-917F-00391C3A2B4E
Last edited by Will Hesch
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As Lane said it looks like it was a great day! It's a shame there's no like button on first posts.

@Will Hesch- Can you tell us a little more about Mike's Speedster? Of course I want to know- year? stock or upgraded brakes? wheels/tires? engine upgrades? You know, everything!

It's wonderful to see your buddy still using his car for the purpose it was intended- tearing up the road and getting the blood flowing! Any more pics of it?

Have another great day guys! Al

@ALB Mike has a '58, silver out, red in, 1600 (don't know if it's a Super or not), the red interior is leather and the car (when not running) smells like a saddle shop. Mike put heated seats in while the interior was being re-done. It's all original parts-wise but has at least one re-paint in the original color. 

The amazing thing about Mike is that he drives it (almost) daily and tears up some of the gnarliest dirt roads in the county!

He did Santa Rita Creek Road last week. As Corey and I passed it's western termination below Whale Rock Reservoir yesterday, I mentioned: "That road is a gnary 4WD dirt road for about 5 miles!". 

When Mike first got it back from the upholsterer, he drove it from the Pozo Road over High Mountain Road to Lopez Lake. This road is not only unpaved for about 7 miles, it has a creek crossing (where folks have lost their lives during high water, it's the headwaters of the Salinas River) and is largely ungraded. I would never, ever take Whitecloud on it...ever!

That day he was following a Ferrari...

Mike didn't attend the recent Registry North/South event held in Cambria and doesn't really think his car's special, he says: "it's just a car, it's supposed to be driven!"

OK, here's the best description of Mike (I know you asked more about his car, but maybe describing the owner is an apt description of the car?

While Mike, Corey and I were parked in the No Parking zone at Ragged Point Inn, several groups approached while Corey was elsewhere, when asked about the vintage of the cars, Mike deferred to me and I explained we had a '57, '57 and a '58. When further asked if they were restored or original (his has minor patina) Mike, sensing my unease about revealing the true nature of Corey and my cars, quickly interjected: "Mine's original, theirs are fully restored!".

Yep, tres amigos, we don't need no stinking badges!

There should be no unease in describing our cars unless you’re trying to pass it off as the real thing. They are truly wonderful masterpieces of mechanical art. At the PCA Cars & Coffee I went to with Anand I had to explain to everyone there that it was a reproduction. Some of them still asked how long it took to restore it. I feel no hesitation in telling people what it is, no one should. 

I am finding that, more and more, calling my car a “Reproduction” seems to register better with the general, less informed public.

They all think they know what a “kit car” is (they don’t, really) and that seems to connote a cheap facsimile of the original, using parts that weren’t available to the original, whereas a “reproduction” seems to connote something made “just like the original” but with new, “reproduced” parts (whatever that means).

This line (and believe me, it’s just a line) seems to register better and I get less follow-on questions.

I guess it’s kinda like making a 3D printed version of a Stradivarius......

So to be clear your buddy was driving a Speedster that is worth nearly 150-200K Daily?  That is awesome! Good for him. Any car I stopped driving for any period of time started to fall apart. I think  cars in high end non-driven collections need special regular care by professionals to keep them from deteriorating. So his driving the car is actually keeping it maintained huh?  Sounds good to me at least. LOL.. 

@ROBERT M, I have no unease telling folks what it is but you need to understand the context...

these folks knew nothing about our cars except they looked cool, were admittedly old and were smitten by the idea of the 3 of us driving them down Hwy 1.

My hesitation was not, and usually isn't, because I relish the deception, it's because it truly lessens the joy the viewer feels when they hear it's not "real". I've had to argue with folks (obviously these are naive folks) about whether or not it's fake, they can't believe it. 

So when given the chance I usually respond to their queries with: "57" or "Porsche Speedster" or "got a check, it can be yours for cheap!"

Agreed. To me when I answer "It's a '56" or "Porsche" it's usually just to quickly satisfy people in passing say at a fuel stop or grocery. They get an answer to their question and I get to keep doing whatever it was that I was doing. At cars and coffee or similar I'll go into detail but start off with the word "replica".

By the way, awesome story Will!

Last edited by DannyP

My response depends on where I am and how much time I have to explain. 

If i’m at a light or driving, and someone shouts out their window “what year is that?”, I respond “‘57”.  

If I’m at a gas station, or somewhere where I’m next to my car for enough time for an explanation; I will tell them it’s a reproduction of a 1957 Porsche Speedster. Sometimes I use “replica”. Sometimes I use “tribute”.  I explain that it’s “hand-built” / made-to-order and/or bespoke by a professional company ______[location]______.  However, most times people could care less about the make or model, I seem to always get asked “What is that color?”  And for that I don’t have an answer.  I should just tell them “electric purple”, just to get people scratching their heads  

I’m opposed to the term “kit”. I think it belittles the process; almost sounding as if it could be assembled as easily as IKEA furniture. It just takes a Phillips Screwdriver and that little Allen Wrench. No additional work needed, just open the box and screw it together. And in 40 hours or less, you can be feeling like James Dean  

My car is not even driveable yet and people ask me if it is a kit car.  I just say yes so I don't have to explain, and truthfully I don't really even know what to explain.  I am building a car that looks like an 1958 Porsche 356 yet it has no Porsche parts.  Is that a "kit" car?  I dunno.  I do know that no one provided me with a kit, nor are there step by step instructions.  In fact, the only instructions I know of are what I get from all or you.

jncspyder posted:

i agree the term  "kit car" is an insult....i think the word "replica" works best....that's what tell folks...after that they can form their own opinion....buy the way...loved your green car....very pretty  @KEVIN- BAY AREA

have always disliked the term "kit car" and take it sort of as a put down.  It's been a long time since I've heard it and I think the next time I hear someone say it I'll ask them "what is a kit car?".  I'm betting that no matter how they define it that it won't apply to my Speedster.  I'm fine with "replica" because that's what it is.  It never was a kit or anything resembling a kit.  It was manufactured in a factory ---doesn't that make it NOT a kit?  Whatever.

Last edited by Jack Crosby

I did this...but people are going to see and hear what they want to even though I have no Porsche logos (other than the caps on my Fuch wheel set) on the Fauxster.  I do have a Stuttgart badge on the grill that is below and to the right (not shown) and that might cause some confusion being next to the Wolfsburg badge 😁

IMG_1120

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Wolfsburg

Jack I might use that the next time someone says kit car .... I think it is appropriate because we all know they are far from a kit like a meccano kit or a lego.

On the other hand you could say it is a kit that takes 10,000 hours at $100 per hour to build just to see the reaction and then say except this one was built by a manufacturer as a tribute to a 356.     I mean the fact that some did do them as a kit  is exceptional but it is still stuck in the mind of those who are not informed so we can't mad at someone being uninformed but at times the word kit is a denegrating word I guess.

Last edited by IaM-Ray

Here in the heartland, 3 times out of 4 the question is, "Is that a Karmann Ghia?".

The answer is, "Something like that". Most people don't really want to know all the gory details-- they just want to slow me down long enough to chat about cars they've orbited (almost nobody actually owned something cool), and they're good just hanging out in the glow of this pretty little thing.

It's an undeniably beautiful shape.

Last edited by Stan Galat

This past weekend I went to one of the 2 car shows that I go to every year.  It's a local fund raiser for the town of Chatham and their Police and FD etc.  I get to talk to car guys I've met before and see some pretty cool old planes.

When they ask what it is I sometimes tell them it's a 1965 VW Beetle that self- identifies as a ' 55 Speedster. Some of the guys driving very nice P cars say they would like to have one they could drive more often and not worry as much. Most people don't care what it is, but they know they want one.  Like Stan says ,  it's a beautiful shape.

Todd M posted:

My car is not even driveable yet and people ask me if it is a kit car.  I just say yes so I don't have to explain, and truthfully I don't really even know what to explain.  I am building a car that looks like an 1958 Porsche 356 yet it has no Porsche parts.  Is that a "kit" car?  I dunno.  I do know that no one provided me with a kit, nor are there step by step instructions.  In fact, the only instructions I know of are what I get from all or you.

Since my replica has a real Porsche 1.6L engine in it, I just tell them it’s a ‘Fiberglass’ 1956 Porsche Speedster. After all, about half the value of my replica is the price of the engine! 

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.