Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Look at JPS' site under turnkey cars. They offer a three point on their 23G high option classic style... you might call or write John Steele about what he uses. how it is secured, and possibly buy through him....

Jim OKC

(Message Edited 9/6/2002 11:28:52 AM)

(Message Edited 9/6/2002 11:29:07 AM)
I have 3 pt. belts thar came in mine. The top point secured into the sq tube frame approx 6" below the pivots for the soft top. They fit right as long as you sit low, butt forward and back curved into the seat, which is not uncomfortable in my seats. However driving in town, and when driving in traffic I tend to sit up more and the belt will work off the shoulder. Not sure how others are positioned or work any better. I like the idea of a roll bar with possibly brackets for the belt up higher and behind the shoulder. Jack if you come up with a design, please share it.

Victor
I have 3 point belts in my 84 IM. Henry switched my 2 point to three point for me when I bought the car through him. I think he got the 3 point belts from California Imports. They don't work really well but are better than the 2 point belts. I'd love to go with a 4 point harness some day.
You could also use the 4 point type seatbelt with a 3 point fitting that is sold by several vendors. I used them in my 1966 912. You can use the points for mounting the 2 point seatbelts and for the 3 point you simply drill a hole in the floorpan. It's simple but looks great (very racy) and furthermore this kind of seatbelt is much safer than the traditional 3 point seatbelt. There has been conducted a survey to seatbelts here in Europe (Germany) and it is proven that Seatbelts with double upgoing belts (4 point seatbelts or 4-point-type-3-point seatbelts are the most safe seatbelts possible. In my 912 I used Schroth.
any "homemade" belt install should have the shoulder anchor point
at shoulder level, not wrapped from the floor and over the seatback.
you will probably never use it but this install worn snug will
break your shoulder in an extreme situation. if it's just for show,
tag a guide loop to your seatback for the third belt. goodluck
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.