Skip to main content

Three years ago I picked up my IM at 10:30 PM at the Spokane airport. The previous owner and I had negotiated the deal over the phone and with pics over the net. He trusted me and I trusted him and everything went smooth as silk. I awoke before dawn to begin my first drive. The temp was predicted to be over 100 degrees in Spokane that day, so I wanted to get over the Cascades before the heat got intense. I crossed Stevens Pass before noon and by that time had a SEG that was scaring little children young girls! I spent the night with an old friend from the Caribbean boating days and headed for Beautiful British Columbia at dawn the next morning. I arrived at the Intermeccanica factory just in time to see Henry backing a Kubelwagen replica out into the street. Next thing I know I am meeting Dale Bates who talked me into this IM Madness, getting a tour of the factory, and eating Brats! The following 2 days are a blur of indescribable scenery, great people and was topped off with a BBQ at Rick Davis's home. I had already figured out that as much as I was enjoying my car, it is the people that I was getting to know that would make this experience great. I headed down the coast to San Diego following what ever road was closest to the sea. Getting the IM and getting involved with this group of folks has been one of the enjoyable things I have done. What a blast it has been!
1959 Intermeccanica(Roadster)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Three years ago I picked up my IM at 10:30 PM at the Spokane airport. The previous owner and I had negotiated the deal over the phone and with pics over the net. He trusted me and I trusted him and everything went smooth as silk. I awoke before dawn to begin my first drive. The temp was predicted to be over 100 degrees in Spokane that day, so I wanted to get over the Cascades before the heat got intense. I crossed Stevens Pass before noon and by that time had a SEG that was scaring little children young girls! I spent the night with an old friend from the Caribbean boating days and headed for Beautiful British Columbia at dawn the next morning. I arrived at the Intermeccanica factory just in time to see Henry backing a Kubelwagen replica out into the street. Next thing I know I am meeting Dale Bates who talked me into this IM Madness, getting a tour of the factory, and eating Brats! The following 2 days are a blur of indescribable scenery, great people and was topped off with a BBQ at Rick Davis's home. I had already figured out that as much as I was enjoying my car, it is the people that I was getting to know that would make this experience great. I headed down the coast to San Diego following what ever road was closest to the sea. Getting the IM and getting involved with this group of folks has been one of the enjoyable things I have done. What a blast it has been!
I have a Will P. story....
Brought the LowLight Ghia to Morro a few years back, since at that time I was between speedy's..picked up the canyon cruise already in progress, led by Terry and Eddie they lost me in a short time and there I was lost in the canyons without a map or a clue.
Will pulls up behind me, and proceeds to lead me and the Mrs out of harms way...It was hot and I would most likely still be driving around in circles if it was not for the Road Warrior...
Will, you are the MAN....
Time sure flies Will. Every year the IM Tour & BBQ is one of the best weekends anyone can have in a car but best enjoyed from behind the wheel of a Speedster or Roadster, regardless of brand. The event always attracts a few 911 Porsches and assorted Hertz/Avis specials and everyone has a great weekend due largely to Henry's great hospitality and of course some fabulous drives.
Come back and visit again Will. The 2010 IM Tour starts in 9 days.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.