Skip to main content

What are your thoughts on the new 356-001 Prototype replica?

http://www.type356-1.com/Home.html

I have always loved concept cars[ i.e. went to ACCD in Pasadena for Car Design] so to see someone doing a good replica of the prototype makes me happy.

Cheers, THOM

So now I Need a Speedster, a 550 Spyder AND THIS ONE!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you look at The Thunder Ranch web site, you'll see that they are listed as a Thunder Ranch Dealer.

Yes, it's the Thunder Ranch shop where the car is being built. If you look at one of the photo's in the build gallery, you'll see a Steer skull and horns attached to the wall. That skull and horns is part of The Thunder Ranch Logo

I just saw this car yesterday at the Monterey Historics. The car is on display and is sharing a booth with a 550 coupe replica made by Fiberstele. Both cars are well done. The 356-1 car really is nice, with good detailing. I talked to the guy that was representing the car and he said that Thunder Ranch eas not involved, but he said he was from Vista CA. That is in the Thunder Ranch Neighborhood! I'll get some pics today and post them when I can. Internet connection here at Camp Big Blue is a little spotty!
to add to the parnoia: It is well known that Tom McBurnie of Thunder Ranch has done "contract work" for other manufacturers in the past. I am recalling a recent speedster frame that he did for Street Beasts (?). I am sure he has done work for others, or as he was quoted "gotton paid for it".
I spoke with the guy exhibiting the car at Monterey Historics. He insists that the car was his idea, his artist "friend" did the foam plug for the molds, that Thunder Ranch builds the fiberglass bodies for him. He says that TR can only build the bodies for him and not for themselves or anyone else. It seemed to me that there was some confusion/ bad blood/ shuckin and jivin goin on. But the car was nicely done! Pics to follow. I have just gotten home and am tired.
I am calling bulls$*t. I have pictures of that car being fabricated at Thunder Ranch. When I first visited the shop in Nov. of '07 the body was still in the mold. The second time I flew out there, to pick my car up the type 1 had been painted, no interior, body had been glassed to frame. No suspension. I commented on the color being a little too blue for my liking. i was told the guy having it built walked by my car and like the silver with red leather interior soo much he decided to put it in his.

That is a Tom McBurnie build through and through. Now he may not have carved the foam to make the molds, but everything else was done in his shop in El Cajon.

My two cents, the speedster, spyder and 904 have hella better lines. Why do you think Dr Porsche moved on to create the 356. This car was a prototype, should have stayed one. That type one may have the soul of a Porsche, but the 356 is the essence of what Porsche is today.

~can I get sued for saying Porsche on this website?
This month's Kit Car Builder Magazine has a feature on this car on pages 22-23.

Quote: "Mark Gomez of Vintage Replicar, sought out Tom McBurnie of Thunder Ranch for fabricating and tooling of the body"...end quote.
Has a modified tube chassis used on the Thunder Ranch RSK.

Funny thing,I like the neo-classic styling, something my wife Kim would say is butt ugly. Kim picks up the KCB magazine from the bar and say's WOW, what a great car, I like this ".......go figure.

BTW Max Zimmer's Actual Mileage KCB column has much reference to our Danny P. .......a funny read as usual ~Alan
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.