Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

WOW! I'm surprised!

Why so snobbish over a genuine steel 356 with a different drive train and suspension and so in LOVE with a fake fiberglass 356 with the SAME suspension and drive train!?!?!

Stan is right, this is a dream car. Do it up how ever you like and it's perfectly OK. Are the outlaws coming out of the professional shops any different? Take a 356 Coupe, change it to a flat four Porsche/VW BUS engine, put on after market Italian carbs and American Gene Berg components. Custom trans, proprietary axles and front suspension pieces, after market brakes and hubs. One off wheels from Germany or Italy and call it a PORSCHE?!?

That car has a Porsche VIN and a custom shortened and mounted chassis utilizing VW components. It's a bastard, but it's a Porsche none the less.

A Very UNsnobbish, TC

Woofgang,

Is the 356 a true unibody? Are the suspension pieces and engine mounting points really a part of the reinforced body structure? As opposed to, say, the bug with a separate chassis (pan) or a tube chassis/rail chassis car? I've never owned one, or managed to get under one to have a look.

If this is true, I can see how a "rusty" 356 would have to be looked over very carefullt before buying.

Thanks,

TC
I'm with Ricardo - it is virtually impossible to put a VW chassis under a real 356. I had a '62 356 Karman Notchback from Virginia Beach - read that as rusty! I welded lots of metal in to make it so both doors could open together and the shift linkage not bind. The chassis is unlike the bugs. Things like tie rod ends are the same and many parts look like VW but they aren't the same. I suspect it is a real Porsche chassis and he just doesn't know difference. Humm says it has a 911 suspension?

check out following URL to see 356 structural components of their unibody. store.partsobsolete.com/strucbodpar.html
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.