Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Just FYI: the stock pedals are fully adjustable and if they are uneven then the stop in the back of the pedal has just been kicked at an angle.  It is easy to place them in a better position and level them out...

That said, if you are just after a different pedal altogether then there are several that we have used.

As Lane mentioned individual Tilton pedals are a possibility, as are individual Wilwood pedals.  Wildwood also make some pedal sets that can be fit to the car.

Any of these will generally require a change in the master cylinder, some of them require running dual masters on the brakes with a balance bar.  They are all going to require a hydraulic clutch.

I have fit the Fibersteel pedals into a Speedster, and it wasn't that hard.  Unless you are just after the look of the Fibersteel pedals then I'd stick with Tilton or Wilwood.  The build quality of the Tilton and Wilwood pedals is just much better than the Fibersteel ones.

You can also do direct VW replacements from places like Pedalwerks.  Scott builds a very nice pedal set, and will make them to your specs, plus add spacing if you'd like the clutch father tot he left or whatever...

Thanks Guys - the car is new to me, and only had about 20 miles on it when I took delivery - even though it was initially assembled 10 years ago - so it still needs to be set up.

I'm sending it to an expert later this week to work on the pedals, amoung a host of other set up items.

I just need to know what my options are.

My requirement is that the pedals operate smoothly and reliably.

I dont really care if they look stock or not - function is more important than form for me.

Last edited by CollinD

I see WAY too many clutch cables installed DRY.  They need to be run through grease before install or they drag heavily and break quicker.  You may consider having your mechanic pull the pedals, pull the clutch cable, and reinstall it after a grease bath...

If he is well versed in VW pedals, just tell him they adjust the same as a Beetle and he should know what to do.  If not, have him call me at the shop.

If master and slave are properly sized, a hydraulic setup can be very nice indeed.

I know I have a 5/8" master and a 7/8"(I think) slave in a Neal pedal cluster(brake and clutch only). It works great, slightly less effort than a cable, but great feel.

Technology? Change the fluid every two years. I took my slave apart last month and cleaned it, it had blackish fluid in it. Put it back together using all the old parts, works fine. Original slave and Wilwood master, 10 years old. But you HAVE to change the fluid. Which you should be doing with the brakes as well.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.