Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ok, I am sorry, but I just don't get why you would want to buy a replica of a coupe. I mean, it looks cool and all, but isn't it going to cost just about as much as a decent "real" one? I have looked at some really nice ones for 15-20k.... hell, I almost bought one of those instead of my Speedster, but didn't think it would be as much fun (in the end).

Just my 2 cents...

Jamie
You've got a point Jamie; the good thing about the coupe is being able to use it more as a daily driver with basically the same feeling.....hey, that's an idea!....if the Speedster is cool; both a Speedster and a Coupe would be double cool!!!....now I wonder what my wife would say.......

By the way, Phil, beautiful car!!
Phil,
Congratulations. Very nice! How about some details? Interior pics? Power? Builder? (O:
I'm with Ed. Actually, I just got out by the skin of my teeth with buying a "real" nightmare and still anxiously awaiting for JPS's creation. I think same philosophy applies for buying a replica Coupe as one would a Speedster: same great looks,choice of powerplant, new undergear and no rust. (Dos pesos)
Here is a 62 that looks pretty good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUPER-90-64K-IN-RECEIPTS-FACTORY-CAR-EXCELLENT_W0QQitemZ4600277600QQcategoryZ6428QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I looked at a 59 A that had been restored, really nice car for 20K.

Again, just my 2 cents. I understand your point about being able to use cheaper VW running gear and what not, but if the price is coming out about the same, I would go with the real one.

Now a Speedster we all know you can't touch a rust bucket for less then 40-50K....!

Jamie
Now i kinda expected the why? question and did ask myslef the same thing! but this car in particular was too good to miss. Firstly only three have been made by M+W....secondly I found it complete less a paint job and an interior, and even had a blast init around where i live....and last but not least it will be complete for 9000 pounds which is a lot cheaper than a replica speedster and still a fair way from the cost of a real 356a....that will one day be eaten by tin worm ;-)

that made me go for it and hopefully itll turn out nice!!!

Regarding the builder Martin and Walker built it in the mid 90's and a guy in london finished it off. The bills are quite extensive and as the owner was in the vdub seen some nice choice bits are in there. Dropped spindles, spax shocks, discs (gunna be cross drilled) heavy duty anti roll bar, Irs built box, Stateside built type4 (about 110bhp) and a flat4 exhaust system. Inside it came with all the dials a nardi wheel and a KK Rollcage bolted down to the chassis. Up front its got a centre fill fuel tank with a hole in the bonnet and all the glass in original stuff as are the seals.

Ill finish it off with a mate of mine ( He built a bug called the PREACHER which was awesome!! do a google search!) and get the interior finished by a local custom trimer which hopefully wont break the bank as im only having carpets and headliner...the rest will be beadrolled ali.

it'll be done in a month or so by which time it will be my daily and ill never have to really worry about gunning it around...

Ill get some more pics sorted for you...

laters phil
Hi jamie....forgot to say that what youve said is totally true though! i wouldnt buy a kit version new until they are more affordable or real ones become unachievable.

new pics are up on thesamba.com

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?mode=results

search for submitter idaphil

cheers guys

phil
The real v. replica arguments for a speedster carry over to the coupes. While the coupe's values are not as extreme as a speedster (in the real dept) the truth is a replica will give you more guilt (and rust) free options!

I think the replicoupe pictured looks great. I have sparred with John Steele over the phone and via email regarding his entry into this market. When he gets it ready for production it will be a sweet ride.

If ever there was a natural home for a Type4, the coupe B it!
I believe the apparent price boom of muscle cars and even street rods may be short lived. Take a look at the drivers at shows and buyers at the auctions; they're mostly old men who have made their bones and want one of two things: a) to buy the car they had in their youth or b) to buy the car they lusted after in their youth but couldn't afford.

I get a sense that most of the young folks coming up today have turned their attention elsewhere. Hot rodded cars from Asia seem to be the cars of choice of the young folks, and it isn't just because they're cheap since some of them certainly aren't. When these "kids" grow older, I don't think they will want to drive cars such as today's old duffers like simply because they won't be part of their history.
my 2 kroner
Hoss
Who's in the bussiness of 356 Coupe replicas? Who is M&W? This is interesting stuff to know about.
Phil, Can you please tell us how well the windows and glass fit? The doors have roll up windows? Window mechanisms from conv D maybe? Is your car a right hand drive, or the Pix is reversed? Is the top structurally strong enough? Info is appreciated ~jJ~
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.