Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@WOLFGANG It's funny you posted that.

Almost every Sunday, my wife and I put on Casey Kasem America's Top 40.  It replays in almost every market in the US weekly. You just need to find your local station.  We both listen to a few songs and then guess the year being replayed.  We mostly get it right based on only "gut" feeling about a year.

When I thought to myself when did the widebody get introduced, my "gut" said 1982.  I have no idea why.

-=theron

@Larry Scislowicz

Check out this link.  

https://fiberclassics.org/classic-motor-carriages/

As far as I know, George Levin started Classic Motor Carriages (CMC) after buying Tiffany Motor cars in 1978, then bought their original 356 molds from Intermeccanica later in 1978 or so and one set of molds from IM was for the flared-fendered (wide-body)  version so that would put the date of that style around 1976 - 1978.  Their competitor, Fiberfab, was bought by CMC later on, but Fiberfab never produced any wide-body 356 cars.  Reading about both Fiberfab and CMC is a business school lesson in how NOT to run a company, but it's an interesting read.

Do a Google search on Fiberfab, Classic Motor Carriages, George Levin and Curt Scott and you'll get lots of hits.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Gordon Nichols

And here's what happened to many of the original molds (StreetBeasts - CMC successor)!  Molds do wear out where they don't produce the desired gel coat finished surface but it's a shame to see them weather and be destroyed!  Many were sold - SOCer here in NW FL bought molds for the flared body.  He did flash a few replacement pieces but sold it to a guy around Sarasota for $ and 2 complete flashed bodies (he was to get 2 but never got 2nd one).  Working with fiberglass on a large scale is like doing roof taring - messy!

streetbeast molds 1streetbeast molds 2streetbeast molds 3

Attachments

Images (3)
  • streetbeast molds 1
  • streetbeast molds 2
  • streetbeast molds 3
Last edited by WOLFGANG

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.