Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You may want to contact Dave Bray in New Zealand, a cyber buddy of mine for some time. He has a VS which has a real 356 steering wheel which was sourced from a swap meet in California. He is a serious builder, the Speedster he currently drives and a XK120 he is currently building. He is a fairly new member of this forum and has an entry on the member listing of www.speedsters.com. He is a very nice and approachable fellow, and I doubt that he would mind being asked a specific question.
John H.

(Message Edited 11/13/2002 10:20:30 AM)
Brian,

I had some communication with a fellow Speedster owner in New Zealand who installed an original 58 Porsche 356A wheel on a pre-67 splined VW shaft (I know that the splines on my 68 VW shaft was also identical to a 62 VW shaft). I ended up making my own splined adapter so I could use a flat 15 inch MotoLita wheel which looks very similar to period aftermarket wheels (Les Leston, Nardi, etc.). I lengthened my 68 shaft/tube so that the wheel was located about 5 to 6 inches from the dash similar to the original Porsche and used an early VW clamp-on turn switch assy similar to the pre-56 Speedsters but with an ivory knob rather than the red blinker tip.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.