Skip to main content

Don't know if anyone checks their gas mileage.  Drove to Charlottesville VA this weekend to see my kids at UVA.  Took mostly back roads with 55 mph speed limit.  Mostly cruising with some spirited driving.  I was pretty happy about the gas mileage.  Means my range with a 10 gallon tank is 370 miles.  Nice.  Can go 300 miles before thinking about gassing up.  2.0L watercooled economy engine (base jetta).  BTW went to Crozet VA and had some great beer at Starr Hill Brewery.  It was kind of a test trip before Carlisle.  Car just hummed.

Phil Luebbert

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

24 is almost exactly what I flight plan which is 25. Air cooled engines were never MPG stars, were they? So I'm doing maybe 3,200 RPM s at 75 while a Sooby pilot is looking at what? 1.200 -1,300 RPMs at the same speed;.  Therin lies the story.  Air cooled guys gotta have the RPMs to cool their engine and the more RPMs, the more go-juice. I'm cool with that though.

I like the Suby ---lust even.  Bur for authenticity I gotta have the aircooled power. 

Took a nice cold highway trip to Carmel, Ca and got about 22mpg at maybe 70 miles per hour.  Short trips around town I get maybe 17 as I warm up a fair amount, and just can't keep my foot out of it.  Wish I could double the MPG but not gonna go granny to save a few bucks a year.  That is impressive though.  Motors have come a LONG way in the last 20-30 years.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.