Skip to main content

Have a narrow body CMC with typical drivers side tight to fender issue. PO had 185's in it and don't see evidence of rubbing. Have a new set of 185's ready to go on but need new rims--typical rusty 8 hole and moon caps.

Found a clean set of 914 Mahle's. Wondering if these will be an issue fitting? They are a few states away but heading there for Thanksgiving. I have disc brakes on all 4.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Believe all the 914 alloy wheels have same offsets (ET40).  I had Pedrini and now 2L 914 Fuchs on my classic CMC.  I have 185/65x15 with rear std drums (1971 chassis so suspect long axel).  I've sanded most of wheel opening inner ridge - which makes it look more like OEM metal.  I've also thinned out the thickness of the fiberglass inside wheel well (inside of fender).  I have barely a pinky fingernwidth of clearance on driver's side.  I suspect your rear discs might make it tighter (too much so).  The 2L Fuchs (and suspect the Mahle's) have gone up in value - I've seen them for sale for $2k!  If that's case, I may sell them and go with 5 bolt Porsche wheel pattern with replica Fuchs.  I believe the offset gives more clearance with redrilled Porsche pattern rotor/drums.  Think this is what Leon C did to solve his clearance problem????

Using this calculator looks like the CIP1 Fuchs replica ACC-C10-6648 $99.99 each with a 5" back spacing (ET45) will give greater fender clearance by about 1/4".  

https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Other thoughts?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they should fit fine. If they are genuine Mahle (and not some aftermarket copy) they're 5 1/2 x15, really light, and  pressure cast magnesium weighing 9 1/2 lbs. each. Part # on the backside of each wheel will be 901.361.017.00

I seem to remember them coming in 4x130mm (914) and 5x130mm (914-6) bolt patterns. Al 

PS- the wheel chart of Porsche factory wheels I have lists the offset at 42mm.

Last edited by ALB

The 5 bolt 911 Mahle 901 # is ET42 mm but believe the 4 bolt 914# version is ET40 mm.  Suspect Terri N would know on the 4 bolt - he has tried them all --- or Glenn R.

http://home.arcor.de/kaeferfel...tml/body_130mah.html

The Mahle rims (4-hole) from the Porsche 914-4 were as an option from 1973 - Available 1976th The orig. No. is 914 361 015 00. A rim weighs 5.6 kg (aluminum / magnesium alloy). Dimension was 5½Jx15 ET40. In the original, the rims were delivered in silver only in L91

I had to use 1/4" spacer on front to clear brake caliper.  I sold the OEM dented SS hub covers and bought the deeper polished billet aluminum ISP hub covers which cleared the rear 36mm bolt and the front wheel bearing caps.  The ISP caps use hex screw to secure to wheel.  Be sure to use the special long 914 alloy lug bolts.  Both lug bolts and caps are costly.  

Believe the magnesium Mahle are lighter than the 2L Fuchs - but suspect the forged Fuchs are stronger.

I got the center hub caps from ISP West.  I got ones without the emblem indent but they are currently out of stock.  The indent allow use of a PORSCHE emblem or leave it plain.  I clearanced inside a little - but it does clear the front wheel speedo drive and big 36 mm nut on rear axles.

http://www.vwispwest.com/GA-CAP914.html?p=YzE9Mjc5

2.0 FUCHS WHEELS

FULLY POLISHED BILLET REPLACEMENT CAP FOR ORIGINAL 2.0 FUCHS, MAHLE OR PETRINI WHEELS - SOLD EACH 2 3/8" OR 60mm Dia. APRX.

MADE IN THE USA!

• Item Number: GA-CAP914
  • Price: $22.25
  • Availability: In stock.

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.