Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have a 78 IM with a 68 swingaxle. 5.5 is too wide. will any 4.5 stock chrome 4 bolt fit?(rear clearance)? Or are there certain offsets to look for? I know stock rims on a 68 ghia on the rear are this tight. The offset and width of the 15 x 5.5 stock chromies stuck out like a 1/2 inch.
You can purchase four lug 5.5 rims from Beck Spyders that have had the offsets changed from the factory in Brazil. This is what he offers for the rear of his Spyders. Check his web site Parts area. I believe they cost $75 each. I was told by another poster here you can easily run 195's if not 205's with the modified offsets, but you should ask Beck's parts person.
Im only running about 70hp. So 4.5s won't really hurt me. I know 68 is a "long axle". I would rather change wheels and tires rather then axles and the necessary bearing housing change also needed. So I will give beck a call. Any one run the 4.5s though? I would love to hear that this setup works.
My VS has a long axle 68 tranny. I have the standard Mangel 15.5 inch wheels with 185s on the rear and 165s on front. I have no space on either side for larger tires. The inside of the cross-section width of tire is 1/2" from the spring plate adjuster and the outside of the tread width is 1/2" from the fender.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.