Skip to main content

I'm back !! Moved to the west coast of Florida, finally have internet setup and I am back !!!

Question photo with the idle jet in my fingers is weird, it is the only "weird" one in my engine, the other 3 jets look like the jet in the photo next to the blue pad (second photo).

Please see the very tip as they are shaped different

Could someone explain the difference in the idle jets, please

idle jet bad

idle jet good

Peace;

Lucky

Attachments

Images (2)
  • idle jet different than the other 3 jets
  • idle jet good have 3 in engine
Last edited by Ralph (Lucky Ralph)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I agree with Leon,

Much more important than the shape of the end is the size of the hole.  If you take them both to a welding shop, most likely they'll have a set of Oxy/Acetylene torch tip reamers, which are very small files in assorted very small sizes.  Something similar might be found at a machine shop, but there you'd be looking for some very small drills.  

Either way, at that size they're both measured in thousandths (as are your jets).  Try a few until you get one that fits (just) the end hole and then try it on the other jet - they should both have the same size hole in the tip.  If not, then I might look for another jet.

Of course, if they weren't causing any run-time problems, then just drive it.

Read Leon's (and Gordon's, and Jack's) advice (above) again. While you're right, they're not machined exactly the same, they were in the carbs and acting the same, right? If you're still not comfortable with it, buy a new set and send me the old ones (I'll reimburse you for the postage).

PS- The odd one looks like the special racer's "lightweight" model...

Last edited by ALB
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.