Skip to main content

I'd like to swap out my 4 bolt chrome standard Beck Speedster wheels for a set of replica Porsche 911 style 5 bolt Fuchs wheels.
My car is a standard narrow body, turn key, built by Special Editions in 2004.

My questions are....

What adaptors should I get and what wheel offset should I buy.
I see 4.5" wheels and 5.5 " wheels....I'd like to do this as simply as possible....Also various offsets are offered on these wheels.

What do I need to do this project as a bolt on??

Thanks guys!!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'd like to swap out my 4 bolt chrome standard Beck Speedster wheels for a set of replica Porsche 911 style 5 bolt Fuchs wheels.
My car is a standard narrow body, turn key, built by Special Editions in 2004.

My questions are....

What adaptors should I get and what wheel offset should I buy.
I see 4.5" wheels and 5.5 " wheels....I'd like to do this as simply as possible....Also various offsets are offered on these wheels.

What do I need to do this project as a bolt on??

Thanks guys!!
Best thing to do is buy rear drums already machined for your new pattern, 5 X 130mm. Front depends, if you have drums, same as rear, if you have discs you'll probably need to swap out the discs, backing plates, calipers, and caliper brackets. What you have and what you want to end up with matter here, let us know that and we can be of more help.
Most will tell you to stay away from adapter plates. Do a search & you'll get a lot of different opions. I ended up going without adapters. Actually cost less than a good set of adapeter plates.

You need 0-offset disc up front. I never found any that were resonably priced. I ended up taking the stock front disc brakes to a machine shop & had them drill out for the 5-bolt & press in new studs. Buy new 5-bolt rear drums for short axle. Once you have the parts its any easy install. Re-use stock calipers, brackets, etc...
I don't understand the statement that if he's got disc brakes, he'll need a whole new kit for the front.

Most disc brakes on these cars are just EMPI 4 x 130 ball-joint conversions. The identical kits are available in 5 x 130 for about $50- $75 extra. If he has an EMPI 4 lug kit, he just needs replacement rotors, and there's no possible way it'll cost more than $150.

Taking whatever rotors he's got off the car and to a machine shop for re-drilling is an excellent idea as well. Either way, it's not a big deal.
Trust me on this one, you can't just buy stock 5-bolt rotors from cip1.com. They won't work. I think the only set I found with 0-offset were from Airkewld. My wallet wasn't big enough....

The repro fuchs I used had the same backspace as the stock Beck 4-lug. Had plenty of room in the front. The rears cleared by a 1/2-1". No rubbing issues
Jeff...I'm taking your advice and having the front rotors drilled for 5 lug wheels.

What size and offset are your front and rear Fuch wheels??

Also will the 5 lug rear drums work with my 4 lug backing plates and brake pads?? Or did you have to replace the guts (springs, shoes, wheel cyliders) with your 5 lug drums?

Thanks for the advice and the reply!
Stan: LMFAO!! You've got THAT right!

On the innards for the rear drums, everything is the same: Shoes, springs, cylinders....everything.

All you need do is remove the old drums and put on the new drums, torque the castle nut to 250 ft. lbs or something and replace the cotter pin and you're done. You'll have to back off the shoe adjusters to get the drums on and then re-adjust them after the new drums are on but that's about it.

On the front hubs::::: That's a pretty common upgrade; drilling a 4-bolt hub to become a five-bolt. It's the same bolt circle (130mm) you use one existing bolt hole and it doesn't weaken the hub flange enough to worry about it.
FD Jake's conversion (5x130) is much easier than Tom's (5x205)

FD- IF you can find 5x130 front discs made for the BJ GHIA DISC spindle they'll swap, or you can drill them to 5x130b as suggested. Late model short axle rear drums drilled to 5x130 will do the rears, no internal changes needed as long as you keep the specs the same (other than bolt pattern of course).

Tom D You have a much bigger job ahead and will need drum brake front BJ spindles and a zero offset 5x205mm front drum-disc conversion kit.
For the rears there is one brand (Italian made) of 5x205 rear drum that will work with the 4 lug drum innards. Most "wide five" rear drums use a thinner shoe and different wheel cylinder, but this one particular drum is made to work with 4 lug stuff. Unfortunately they are over $100 ea and can be a PITA to find. When the time comes shoot me an e-mail and I can see if I can get some wrangled up for you. BTW the splined section of these drums sit back 2mm farther than the 4 lug ones, so you have to use a thick shouldered castle nut or it won't torque properly. I carry these too. :)
FD
These photos are of 16"ers on the red speedster and 15" replicas on the black speedster. The std and replica have the same backspacing . I've had both replica 15" and Fuchs16".(911 fronts)on a Vintage Speedster and a Classic bodied Speedster.
The photos of the red speedster is IRS drilled rotors in front and drilled drums in rear.
The black Speedster is drilled rotors in front Swing axle with aftermarket porsche pattern 5 bolt rotors.
Greg

Attachments

Images (3)
  • Red_on_16s_Sunset
  • Red_on_Fuch_16s
  • Black
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.