Skip to main content

Had a nice surprise today. Some of you may remember that I have a different type of engine installation with my Soob Frankenmotor. It's running a Weber 32/36 progressive 2 bbl carb. Progressive just means it spends most of it's life running on the 32 mm side of things and the secondary 36 only opens very late in the game if you have your foot right on the floor. I get pretty good gas mileage.

After looking at the the secondary's action, I noticed that even at WOT it was not opening up that much with the existing linkage. There is a similar 2 bbl Weber carb... the 38/38 which is fully synchronous using direct, interconnecting gears on the butterfly shafts but I didn't want to blow $250 to see if it would work. 

A little searching on the net revealed the sync link. Just a $50.00 investment for the a linkage kit that joins the two barrels of the carb together to operate like the 38/38. I got one and installed it today in about 10 minutes. The weather was just over freezing and the roads had dried out from the freezing rain we had over that last few days. 

Wow...quite a difference. A quick, non tire burning takeoff in first, then second and third actually put me well into the seat back. My car has never moved like that before.....quite a nice surprise. One lad reported that he uses the sync link for horsing around town and he goes thru a lot of gas and when taking a trip he removes the link to the secondary in a couple of minutes and the car runs just fine on the first, single bbl.  I guess that's where I've spent most of my Soob life so far.

This addition won't affect any of you that I know of, but it sure worked for me. If you do get really tired of rebuilding, synchronizing your carbs etc or just losing little brass things this may be an option with a single center mount carb. Certainly not as cool as a twin carb setup though.....and yes, the engine is still dirty.  :-)

David Stroud

'92 IM Roadster D 2.3 L Air Cooled

Ottawa, Canada

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Sync link 016
  • Sync link 018
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The "Frankenmotor" concept calls out to a select few. In the Soob world, the mainstream is all about MOAR BOOST, coupled with FEWL MAPPIN & etc. The STi guys scoff at anything less than 400 horsepower, and quite a few are waving around dyno slips showing 600

There is yet a tiny rump subculture trying to wring additional horses from the normally-aspirated mills. These are usually the guys with very tight budgets and fairly old beaters, who still want to be part of the tuner/hotrod scene. They're getting only 180-200 hp (a lot less, I think, than the NA Soob would be capable of if tuner culture concentrated on NA builds), but that's what you get on the cheap. And it works.

The great news about all this is that people like David and me don't have to do all that much R&D. Stroud knows the 4-cam engine won't fit in his tub because of the frame rails. The 2.5 engine with the sohc heads is his hottest choice, short of a turbo project. 

Those high HP numbers that folks like to brag about are meant to serve as public indicators of the size of something else.  Real cars guys know that it's all about balance.  Acceleration, top speed, throttle response, handling, steering feel, braking, etc.  A car that has all of those balanced is a much better car, at least to me, that one that has one specific characteristic that I can brag about.

I thought I had something with Lord Kong, my verified 200 OCCF (Orange County Correction Factor) horsepower 2332 Type 1. It was all that and a bag of chips.

We bad. That's right, uh huh. We bad.

Then I drove Rich Drewek's RAT 2.6-ish liter twin-plug RAT motor. When I get all puffed up and full of myself, I fancy myself some kind of backyard Smokey Yunick. But when I drive something that has gone through real R&D, I realize that I'm just a hack with a checkbook and some tools.

Yeah, 180- 220 N/A HP is nice. More is... more. 

edsnova posted:

I like my Great Plains torque curve.

A modern turbo starts making huge power by 1500 RPM. How much flatter do you want it to be?

I really, really like the simplicity and characteristics of a normally aspirated engine. But most of my arguments in favor of N/A sound just like my arguments for an antiquated, air-cooled, push-rod motor: weak. More is more.

N/A is viscerally excellent and functionally inferior. 

Last edited by Stan Galat

No matter whatever you have with a motor, someone has a version of it with absolutely stupid-crazy horsepower.  My son had a Mitsubishi running 680hp on a 4-wheel dyno (one of Lane's favorite rides!).  If you use the usual 15% penalty between a wheel dyno and crankshaft dyno, that's over 780hp at the crank!  And there were guys with over 1,000 hp running on road courses!!

My late brother built some insane racing engines for people who race snowmobiles.  Like over 250 -350 N/A hp for a sled.  Can you imagine hanging on to something like that?   

His wife still has his last sled and when we were there this past Christmas his son told me he thought it did something like 175 hp on an engine dyno, non-turbo.  I guess you need some serious snot in yout sled when cruising at 60+mph and pulling a utility sled.  

Last edited by Gordon Nichols

Will Hesch posted:

...I'll take a 4 speed pushed by a motor with balls!...

Oh no! What have I done here?

Are the four speed/five speed wars raging again?

There are many who would separate us into Four-Speed Americans and Five-Speed Americans. There are those who would let these differences come between us and divide us.

To them I say there is no Four-Speed America. There is no Five-Speed America. There is only a United Speeds of America.

4 speed guys are ruining this hobby for the 5 speed guys. I'm going to build a wall to keep those 4 speed guys out... and the 4 speed guys are going to pay for it! If you believe in a world where 5 speeds reign supreme..... stand up! Be heard!!!  Help make this hobby great again!!

(Sorry. Too soon?)

Last edited by TRP

Ooohhh, this has got me wee brain workin'! 4.125 ring&pinion with 3.78/2.25 first and 2nd so it's blisteringly fast off the line. And then, continuing on the boulevard bomber/drag race theme- 1.67 3rd, 1.31 4th, 1.00 5th and .82 6th for a speed of 75mph at 3500rpm. Or a little more balanced toward the canyon carver/high speed action- 1.58 3rd, 1.21 4th, .93 5th and .77 6th for a top speed of 82mph at 3500. I'm drooling....

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.