Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

When these things brought a price I was ALMOST willing to pay, I followed their value reasonably closely. At this point, I really don't care. It's not even a hobby of mine to watch.

People giving $500K for old 4-cylinder pushrod air-cooled cars is speculation and WAY out of sync with any actual value equation. If you like the shape (and I very much do), then just buy a replica and get the shape and lots of other gooey goodness.

In my strong and unsolicited opinion, Speedsters were just not that important in the automotive pantheon. 550 Spyders maybe, 911s for sure, but Speedsters no.

Last edited by Stan Galat

Remember Rich MacKoul's original '55 Speedster?

Rich is now in a Cognitive Support Center with quickly advancing Alzheimer's, so his family sold his Speedster to an enthusiast in New Jersey for $340K.  It probably needs to be freshened up, but it is a complete, running, numbers-matching car (it went with a lot of spare parts and even has a set of custom luggage ).  I heard that the new owner was very happy to get it and the cash helps keep Rich comfortable in his support.

Last edited by Gordon Nichols

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.