Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's vintage, it's really, really cool, and I'd love to own it.

... but a 6v electrical system is not the part that's going to be a deal breaker for anybody. Under all that "cool" (and I really mean no disrespect), it IS an Elan replica, built by an aftermarket company.

356As were 6v too, but I've never seen a Speedster replica wired for 6v. 

If it's less costly to source 6v relays and such than convert to 12v, I sorta get that. But if it's to keep a replica electrical system "original"... I guess I don't. 

1967 was first year for the VW Beetle to use 12v - a '66 would have been 6v.  6v headlights really stink.

Only reason I mention the vintage status is it has a  prominent racing history with Sam Posey - next owner may want to vintage race it and some upgrades (like to later disc brakes) may prevent it qualifying.  '67 is a cut off year for certain events/cars.

Last edited by WOLFGANG
WOLFGANG posted:

1967 was first year for the VW Beetle to use 12v - a '66 would have been 6v.  6v headlights really stink.

Only reason I mention the vintage status is it has a  prominent racing history with Sam Posey - next owner may want to vintage race it and some upgrades (like to later disc brakes) may prevent it qualifying.  '67 is a cut off year for certain events/cars.

The 12v lights on the bug aren't much better.

I have seen LED front lights and unless the R&D is well done the light is not well focused.  I went with H4's as well for that reason and the fact that the led needs to match a focused lenses in my opinion.   There are some companies who claim to have made a LED that exactly matches the H4 Halogen pattern and fit into a focused h4 receptacle. 

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.