Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Alan, not gonna take it over 4k rpm for the first 500 miles after the rebuild I just completed.

Probably going to sell  this engine when I put in the subie later this year. So at this point , I am simply breaking the 'new' 1835 engine in and making it the best it can be.

The 15 year old car has never gone this fast before. So ears wide open waiting for the next problem - suspension, trans, brakes, ... damn thing sat a long time unused.

Driving these old cars ( or old car replicas ) is not only a 4 limb ( to make it go) adventure; but a 4 limb, 2 ears, and a nose adventure... 

Yup - 130kph = 80-ish mph.  Mine smooths out nicely between 120K and 130K, smoother as you go higher, so I find a spot on the highway in between the "packs" and just cruise there around 125-130.  I find less gawkers at that speed, too, as other cars don't overtake you as often.

Good deal on keeping it under 4K for a while - I would, too.  then an oil change at 500 miles, another one at 1K or so and then 3k intervals.  

Have fun with it Moto - I'm still a month away from driving with this nutty winter-summer-back to winter thing we have.  Lots of flowers were poking up before the last storm.  Raking some more snow off of the roof today!

Last edited by Gordon Nichols

There's a guy in our local 356 club who would fit right in here.  Old MIT engineer who ran his own consulting firm for decades and bought a 1960 356 Cab, second owner, in 1962 and still has it.  He got tired of trying to have perfect paint all the time, so when he was half-way through sanding it once he said "To Hell with THIS!" and just clear-coated over what was there.  It makes quite a statement and he gets a lot of fun out of it at "long-nosed PCA events".  

20140813220935-547014db

Norm really enjoys his 356.  One of the first times I caravanned with him and his wife, Jan, we were heading out to Lime Rock Park for a race day in the early 2000's.  We all met at a service area on I-90 just West of exit 10 (mid-state) and headed West with Norm in the lead.  HOLY GOD!  Norm leaves the rest area, brings the pace up to 80+ and leaves it there til we hit exit 2 in Lenox, out near the NY border.  That's normally a 2-hour trip and we made it in 90 minutes or less.  I found out later that he ALWAYS drives that pace on turnpikes and has only slowed down a bit lately (he's now in his 80's and reaction times are stretching, I guess).  Norm's quite the guy and a good friend.  He got the biggest charge out of seeing my gas heater - always an engineer...

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20140813220935-547014db

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.