Skip to main content

Can anyone enlighten me on the mods that were made to this muffler?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911-RS-or-914-6-GT-RACE-RALLYE-Muffler_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33636QQitemZ110104240972QQrdZ1

Looks like this is a modified standard muffler in that there are two more tailpipes installed with "hats" that can be removed. Does this mean that with the hats on you are running a standard exhaust out the side but with the hats off you are running a "race" muffler?

Any info appreciated....

Brian
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Can anyone enlighten me on the mods that were made to this muffler?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911-RS-or-914-6-GT-RACE-RALLYE-Muffler_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33636QQitemZ110104240972QQrdZ1

Looks like this is a modified standard muffler in that there are two more tailpipes installed with "hats" that can be removed. Does this mean that with the hats on you are running a standard exhaust out the side but with the hats off you are running a "race" muffler?

Any info appreciated....

Brian
The 2 pipes coming out of the cylindrical portion of the muffler have caps that seal off the exhaust gas and force the exhaust through a muffler and out a single side pipe for the street.

If you remove the caps, then the exhaust gas takes the path of lest resistance and passes through those pipes, un-restricted and un-muffled for competetion events.
Exactly what I was thinking...700 bucks seems a bit steep. From the description it appears that the muffler was a used unit although its hard to tell.

I have a spare 911 muffler and a set of cookie cutters. Are the two cookie cutters just welded into holes in the muffler or might there be some internal baffling or tubing?

I almost think the modified 911 muffler that came with the car is similar to the one on Ebay. It has had the side pipe removed and the hole patched and then two pipes welded on to resemble the exhaust of a 356. As I recall it was not real quiet.

But the Supertrapp that's on there now is a bit too noisy. Not near as noisy as the straight cookie cutters though...need hearing protection for those.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.