Skip to main content

Phil, invest in the CV boots I got.  They solved the problem for me.  Audi 5000 Quattro CV boots inner, I think, at all 4 locations.  I took the old boots off and took them into a local bug shop near SEATAC airport here in Seattle where the nice lady let me go into the stacks and search the inventory.  I'll dig up the part number and mfg and post.  I run larger diameter 930 axles and the fit of the small end was tight but worked well.  Five hundred miles and no split so I'm happy.

Tomm
Thanks Tomm. The next time I have to replace a boot I'll switch them out. Would appreciate the part number. Did you have a motor mount go bad?  If so which one. The rubber in my rear motor mount was completely chewed up when I bought the car with only 10000 miles. In addition even after replacing the motor mount, during engine torquing while accelerating the back of the engine would hit the frame on which the motor mount was fixed. Clunk, clunk. This required some fancy fabricating of the frame piece the motor mount is sitting. In addition the top of the motor would hit the cut out in the plastic part of the clam shell. This required the dremel and some touch up paint. Between all of the creaks and rattles and clunks, I really thought I had made a big mistake when I bought the car. But after some careful diagnostics and a little bit of surgery and of course new shifter linkage (that's another story) my car is incredibly quiet and smooth. And since I can now rev it to 6000 rpms with ease its even a little quick. Love this car. If anyone wants an IM and wants the confidence that only a brand new factory made crate engine brings this is your car. Just ask Henry to make the modifications I describe. I have already shared my modifications with him. The humble Zen master thanked me for the feedback.
Originally Posted by Bob: 2004 Intermeccanica S. Canada:
Originally Posted by Ron O, 1984/2010 IM, B.C. Canada:

Bob, what's your rpm at 100/110 kph?

Ron

I usually cruise along at about 2800 rpm and that gets me to that speed range.

That's about what I'm aiming for.  My mechanic originally put a 5th gear in that would have me doing 2300 rpm at 100 kph, but I said that might give me CHT issues.

911 motors are great, as are WRX or non-turbo Suby 4. I also like the EJ-33 3.3 liter flat six from the SVX, basically a 2.2 with 2 more cylinders, and 230hp out of the box. Then there is the newer 3.0 Tribeca six which is shorter in length due to chain drive cams. Good options(non-Porsche?) are out there, for not a lot of money.

Originally Posted by Bob: 2004 Intermeccanica S. Canada:

Bob, what's your rpm at 100/110 kph?

Ron

I usually cruise along at about 2800 rpm and that gets me to that speed range.

That's about what I'm aiming for.  My mechanic originally put a 5th gear in that would have me doing 2300 rpm at 100 kph, but I said that might give me CHT issues.

CHT???

Thanks, guys.  Henry will be starting the build in October.  I was just out in B.C. at the annual IM Tour (first time we were there), and had a chance to drive a couple of IM6s. 

Dave Mitchell was kind enough to let me have a good go in his car - and I do mean GO!  That car is a thriller to drive.  Someone needs to snap it up asap.  But for the impossibility of getting his car into Canada, that may have been my choice.

I noticed a real difference in driving a 911 based IM compared to a standard one, and that was what decided it for me.  It's not just the increased horsepower, it's the entire drivability that is different.

Now comes all the choices to be made...

I'm sorry, but I really don't unnerstan the problem of getting a car that was originally built in Canada, then shipped to the Lower 48, and then returned to Canada for re-sale to be a problem importing it????????  WTF??

Can you please explain this in a way this old (but graduate Economics major) can unnerstan??

Is it a taxation issue or an import duty issue??    Would it be made simpler if the engine was separated from the rest of the car and then miraculously re-united in Vancouver?  

I dealt with strange import duty stuff when I was with EMC but I didn't understand it then, either......

Originally Posted by Gordon Nichols - Massachusetts 1993 CMC:

I'm sorry, but I really don't unnerstan the problem of getting a car that was originally built in Canada, then shipped to the Lower 48, and then returned to Canada for re-sale to be a problem importing it????????  WTF??

Can you please explain this in a way this old (but graduate Economics major) can unnerstan??

Is it a taxation issue or an import duty issue??    Would it be made simpler if the engine was separated from the rest of the car and then miraculously re-united in Vancouver?  

I dealt with strange import duty stuff when I was with EMC but I didn't understand it then, either......

Gordon:  I'm not too sure of all the details, but for us to bring a 'kit/replica' from the U.S. into Canada, the car has to be fifteen years old (at least on the ownership).  I was just told it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to bring in a newer car.

Sorry I can't provide any more explanation than that.

Bob, I haven't seen or heard from the other Ron for years.  Does he still have the same car?  Is he, in some way, now connected with Intermeccancia?

I was thinking of attending, but my car wasn't ready in time and probably won't be ready for a while.

Ron:

Our brother Ron still has the same IM, kind of a burgundy colour.  I don't think he is officially connected to Intermeccanica, but just helps out as needed.  He led the tour from Vancouver to Osoyoos.

He did say he was no longer involved with mini-subs.

His IM really hauls a$$.

A number of years ago we both attended our local VW sponsored Friday night drags.  I brought my V8 powered Miata and he brought his IM.  Even though it was his first time racing his IM, he turned a 14.1, and with a bit of practice I'm sure he would have been in the high 13s.

As for me, before reaching the half way point on my first run I broke my rear drive shaft 'U' joint.  I coasted more than half the way and still managed a 15 second run.

My mechanic said I was very lucky I didn't break the front 'U' joint and join the Miata flying club.

Last edited by Ron O
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.