Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I saw this earlier today and thought the same as Stan - THAT is a screaming deal.  That 3.2L is SO MUCH MORE engine than a 2.1, in technology, power and reliability that it's not funny.  The rest of the car has a very professional level of quality to it not found in a lot of conversions (and CERTAINLY not in any of the V-8 "conversions" out there).

Again.....THAT is a screaming deal, folks.

Strong money for what is still just a bastardized 914-4.  The motor goes south and suddenly you own a $4-5k car.  A real 914-6 has it's motor go south and you still own a non-running $30k car, $40-50k if you fix it.  I think an 85-88 Carrera might be a better way to spend $30k if your looking for a good aircooled 6.

Originally Posted by Tom Williams, 2007 JPS Coupe 2006 VS:

Strong money for what is still just a bastardized 914-4.  The motor goes south and suddenly you own a $4-5k car.  A real 914-6 has it's motor go south and you still own a non-running $30k car, $40-50k if you fix it.  I think an 85-88 Carrera might be a better way to spend $30k if your looking for a good aircooled 6.

I'll not dispute that a Carrera is a better investment, nor that an original 914/6 is "real" while this car is not. The problem with cars that appreciate, is that most people end up preserving them, which means not driving them. Driving is what cars are for.

In that vein (assuming it's what he says it is):

1) This car would be more useful in the real world than either of the other benchmark cars. It would also be more fun. With 2 trunks, and a big/reliable A/C motor, I'd roll that thing anywhere, any time. 

2) I think you'd be hard pressed to find either of the other cars in similar condition for similar money. Prices are on the rise. Fast.

3) Please find me a nice, rust-free 914 2.0 for the $4-5K you reference. 

I'm with Stan; while the price seems a little high, since it's a 911 engine and the conversion was probably done with factory parts, I think this car will at least hold it's value. If it was a bastardized V8 conversion then it wouldn't be worth a 2nd look. 914's are fun, and this is a car you would drive.

PS- The buy it now price is $28,750 and the make an offer tab is still up...

Last edited by ALB

Stan and ALB,

1) My point is that the car is overpriced, not that it does not have a decent fun factor.  Priced realistically it would make someone a great toy. 

2) Stan, very nice  85-88 Carreras can still be had in my neck of the woods for $30k.

3) Stan, re-read my initial post.  The $4-5k price was for a clean 914 in need of a motor.  A dime a dozen around here.

Even at $28,750 I don't see a line forming.  I may end up having crow for dinner, but a $20k car tops in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Tom Williams, 2007 JPS Coupe 2006 VS:

Stan and ALB,

1) My point is that the car is overpriced, not that it does not have a decent fun factor.  Priced realistically it would make someone a great toy. 

2) Stan, very nice  85-88 Carreras can still be had in my neck of the woods for $30k.

3) Stan, re-read my initial post.  The $4-5k price was for a clean 914 in need of a motor.  A dime a dozen around here.

Even at $28,750 I don't see a line forming.  I may end up having crow for dinner, but a $20k car tops in my opinion.

You're probably right, Tom. In the rust belt, we've got to rely on ebay or some other national source for anything aircooled. So-- no nice $30K 911s, no cherry 914s (less motor).

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.