Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have a chance to purchase a 914, is flared to look like a 916? The point is the motor runs. It does have a dead cylinder. The rest of the car is there. Throw away ? What's it worth? I want it just for the motor. Next question probably should have been the first. Will it fit in my 2002 VS?
You need to talk to Jake. Depending on the condition of the 914 itself if it is the engine you want it may be cheaper to buy a core engine and have it rebuilt.

I bought a low-mileage engine out of a 914, am adding a DTM shroud and dual Webers and Mallory dist. I will run it for a season or two and then have Jake rebuild it right. Some guys like T1 engines better, they have many pluses, but having listened to the T1 vs T4 debate I am favoring T4. Go looking for Jake at STF (shoptalkforums.com)
You can pick up a T4/914 motor in a lot of places. You can pick up a decent case for $100 and build the rest out fresh. I know a guy that has 4 T4 cases right now. He said Jake was buying a couple of his cases. I didn't press it cause we're in Dallas and Jake's in like georgia??? I also see running T4s every once in a while for sale. Heck, Jake even was selling one of his test beds a while back. (Although, from what I've read, Jake can really TEST and engine. Just kidding.)

I wouldn't buy a car to get the motor unless the motor was really strong. What fuel system does it have? Is it special?
Go to www.shoptalkforums.com. Look in the Type Four link. Also do a search for topics in their archives. Anything and everything you need to know is there.

If you see a post by Jake Raby, open the info icon and his business site is listed. Check "Jake's Thoughts" and also read what he says about T4's in Replica's.

I believe the 914 is actually a Vw engine, but yes, you can say you have a Porsche engine in your car. Why not. But if you ask me, the other benefits of a T4 make a better argument for doing the switch -- lots and lots of torque, an evolutionn of the T1 package and a long service life. T1 fans rightly say they have more performance options, their engines rev higher, etc.

There is a bit more cost and parts than a straight across bolt in job, but it isn't too bad.

Different stokes for different folks.
Rick, if you want a real Porsche motor it won't be a 914/4 - the 914/4 was advertised and sold in Europe as a VW and uses the VW type 4 engine. The 914/6 used the Porsche 911 6 cylinder opposed engine. Not to belabor the point, but if you want "real Porsche" parts why not just buy a Porsche?

(Message Edited 9/23/2002 4:34:04 PM)
TIVs are great engines, but from the FACTORY they have issues that must be modified...

The 914 is a great car, I have a 73 2.0, I love to drive it, and hate to work on the midengined animal..The engine has 140K on it, I absolutely drive the hellout of it, never change the oil and never adjust the valves. I'm actually trying to kill it so I can install a 2270 with 180HP of punch.

I have supplied 15 TIV engines for speedsters this year, they are all working out well as far as I know..

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.