Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Dave--good looking seats---I had no idea that 914 seats would fit in a pan based car.

What kind of place did you find to cut the tops off the seats---an upholstyr shop? What was the charge to re-form them and recover them?

Your finished seats look exactly what I have been looking for----are they as comfortable as they look?

What do you want for the extra set you have?---Thanks!----Jack

I like the 914 seats but have never cared for the look of the Miata seats. Cut down they look fine but that wierd top part looks like a costume out of an old Buck Rogers movie to me.

I tried junk yard searches for Miata seats with no luck. I like the 914 ones and hope to have then in the car before Morrow Bay. I don't think my a** could survive with my present seats for the 3,612 Hot Springs, AR-Morrow Bay, CA round trip.

I'll get serious about finding the 914 seats----anyone know if there is a "best" year to get?----Jack
Plenty of people use 914 seats, and I'd bet that the stock Vintage Speedster seats were based on a cut down version of the 914 fiberglass shells.

Also, a stock 914 seat is a pretty firm seat and could benefit from more cushioning IMO. Other than the fixed passenger seat of the early 914's (69-70), all of the adjustable 914 seats should be very similar.

I actually have a set in my attic waiting for a new life, black and require recovering.

Boston Bob E.
I took a piece of the edge of the cut off headrest part and you can see it slightly rounds what would be a 1/8" thick top edge. The fiberglass at top add strength and eliminates the course, thin edge. Once that is done you could reupholster - suspect you would renew foam and add some. The original 914 seats were quite hard. Youd probably want backs that slipped on versus the complicated OEM system of pieces. Tempting to add seat heater kit too.

Jack - I sat in your car in '08 at Carlisle and admired your seats - I don't think the 914 ones will be much different - except maybe the OEM tilt mechanism would be nice (if you choose to use it). It may make the seat sit higher though.

Wolfgang--I am a bit larger accross the rear end than the average guy-39" waist, so I guess the seats fit me a little snugger than they do you. Believe me, after a 1,200 mile trip from Carlisle to Hot prings, AR I knew that improving the seats was in my car's future!

I am anxious to receive the 914 seats although they do closely resemble the Vintage seats. Except the sides of the shell seel broader
so maybe they will cut unto my rear end less---I'll just have to see.
I have found a good shop that does great work and will seek their advice.

I am attaching a picture from a sheet about Speedsters to show the seats. These aren't what I think of as Speedster seats--I thought the "originals" had the thin backs with two cut outs in the back. The ones in this picture look a lot like 356 coupe and cabriolet seats
don't they. Moreover--they look more comfortable than the "shell" type seats. I had never seen this type seat in our cars except maybe for IMs. Anyone got seats like the ones in this picture in a pan-based car? And where did you get 'em?

Stay cool--supposed to be 103 degrees here today!!---Jack

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Speedster Seatsr =356
I would not have expected to see those seats in a speedster ad - they appear to be the stock 356 seat which while comfortable is quite heavy and for a pan based replica is several inches too wide. I looked at your photos and couldn't see one of your interior. Know I took one at Carlisle. Can't recall if you had a pan or tube chassis --- seem to recall you had lots of room so must be tube. If that is case you could use wider range of seats to include the original 356 ones. They have nice chrome hinge adjustment/tilt back adjusters on sides. They measure 23" or so wide - vice the pan limitiation of 18" (which I read as a tight size 36 waist). With old steel springs and horse hair stuffing - I'm not sure how comfortable an old OEM 356 seat would be without modernization.

Here's a set of tan Miata seats local to me (tad costly).

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/pts/1265080103.html

I've seen them reupholstered with the headrest removed and they look right in a speedster.

Big Butt Jack here.

I made a wonderful discovery today---no, not about a diet or liposuck me---hell, I'm not what you'd call "big" in the ass department anyway! But I digress.

--About the discovery. The 914 seats arrived as advertised and in really good shape. zero tears or anything.

I discovered that the bottom cushion of the 914 seats fit perfectly into the Vintage fiberglass shells---yes; perfectly!! They sit a tad higher which raises them above the sides of the shell that were cutting me on long trips and are soooo comfortable. About 2" wider which is just perfect. Nice and flat too and shorter than the Vintage seats that sort of raise up in the front which I find uncomfortable
under my legs behind the knees too.

I met with a good upholsterer today and he can use tghe same covers from my Vintage seats to put on the 914 seats and they will fit perfectly. So I'll have the same high quality vinyl (or whatever it is Kirk uses but great stuff) as I have now, and they will match the seat backs and look stock.

Also I don't need to use the 914 shells and switch them for my Vintage shells. Another plus.

They really are comfortable and are the answer to a two year quest! I'll post pictures after they are covered in two weeks. I are happy!!----Jack
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.